With rising costs for college wouldn’t it be wonderful if you could complete prerequisites for a college degree while still in high school and have the state cover up to $4,125 of the cost?
Advanced Opportunities (AO) was created just for that reason, and qualified Idaho high school students in grades 7-12 are allowed up to $75 per credit under the Fast Forward program through the Idaho State Department of Education (SDE). In collaboration with the Idaho SDE and your high school counselor Independent Study in Idaho (ISI) delivers affordable online, college-level Dual Credit courses. Credits earned for Dual Credit are recorded on both your high school and college transcripts.
Independent Study in Idaho Provides Flexibility and Convenience (learn more)
- Begin anytime (ISI courses are not on a semester or quarter calendar). However, student registration dates in the AO Portal are set by the state. Check with your counselor for dates.
- Complete courses from any location
- College admission not required
- Take up to one calendar year from the registration date to complete a course
- Access college library resources
- See Idaho State Department of Education Advanced Opportunities for Fast Forward program information and frequently asked questions (FAQ)
- Meet with your high school counselor to develop a personalized learning plan
- Choose an ISI course and view the syllabus for prerequisites and textbook information. Contact ISI to request instructor permission to enroll if missing a prerequisite.
- Create an Advanced Opportunities Account and Apply for Fast Forward funds within the AO Students Access Window
- Go directly to Funding Requests. In the drop-down list for selecting a Course Provider, choose Independent Study in Idaho. (This is the same process as for IDLA courses.) All courses available from Independent Study in Idaho will be listed. Internet Explorer and Chrome work best with the Advanced Opportunities Portal. You may need to clear the browser’s cache for the portal to work properly.
- Submit ISI’s Advanced Opportunities form
- ISI will finalize your registration and send you a Registration Confirmation Email within three business days, which will include your student's V Number and information on how to access your online course.
- Identify a proctor, complete the Advanced Opportunities Exam Request form and return the form to Independent Study in Idaho.
Discuss dropping a course first with your school counselor and parent/guardian. Your counselor will email ISI at email@example.com or mail a letter to ISI with the following information to drop a course.
- Student name
- V number
- Reason for dropping
A student must file a Release of Information Form with the ISI office before a student’s education, or financial records can be released by telephone or email to parents, individuals, or organizations.