University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Information for Faculty and Staff

The University of Idaho supports and encourages international study, work and research as an essential part of its academic mission. To help ensure a positive international experience, the university maintains sound practices and policies for U of I sponsored or funded travel, work, study and residence outside of the United States. The U of I International Travel Policy, APM 70.23, specifies important guidelines around international travel with and without students. See the current version of APM 70.23.

Whether you are looking to develop or expand a research project, develop an institutional linkage with an overseas university, introduce international topics into your teaching, build collegial networks, or enhance your personal international expertise and knowledge, these resources can lead you in the right direction. If you have questions that are not addressed on this site, please contact the U of I Education Abroad Office at 208-885-8984 or

Classroom Outreach

Education Abroad staff are always happy to come to your class to discuss study abroad program options with your students. Presentations can be tailored to last from 10 minutes to the full class period, they can be low-tech or full PowerPoint presentations, and they can cover general study abroad options or can be specific to certain subject areas or regions of the world. Contact the Education Abroad Outreach Coordinator at 208-885-8984 or

Faculty and Staff

Credit Transfer

When students sign up to study abroad one of their U of I application requirements is the Course Planning Form. This form has various purposes:

  • It allows for a student to determine (in coordination with their advisor) whether the courses count towards major/minor requirements, general education requirements, or free electives in their degree audit.
  • It allows department chairs or their designees to determine how study abroad courses will articulate (transfer back) to the U of I.
  • If the course has a U of I equivalent, the Department Chair enters the U of I course equivalent information on the form. If the course does not have a U of I equivalent, the Department Chair enters 000 as the course number and determines if the course is worth upper-division, lower-division, or graduate-level credit and enters this information on the form.
  • It allows the student’s academic advisor to review the student’s full plan of study, discuss it with the student, and sign the form giving their approval.
  • It allows the student’s college dean’s office to approve upper-division coursework to count toward the U of I residency requirement.
  • It allows the Registrar’s Office to determine the number of U of I credits the student will receive for each course he or she takes abroad.
  • The form is submitted to the Registrar’s Office and kept on file in case any questions arise regarding credit transfer.
  • Students can  submit new versions if their plans change. All original forms are kept as part of the students' online U of I study abroad application.

Financial Aid

Students can typically use all of their grants, loans and scholarships for U of I-approved study abroad programs. The only type of financial aid that is regularly disallowed are waivers and work study appointments. If the study abroad program costs more than it normally costs to study at U of I, it may be possible to get additional financial aid. Students should visit a financial aid advisor to determine what their award package will look like for an international experience.

Program Selection

The University of Idaho maintains a robust set of programmatic partners around the globe. If you are interested in learning more about current partners, please reach out to the Education Abroad staff and we can discuss training and promotional opportunities for faculty and staff members. The primary responsibility for programmatic advising lies with the Education Abroad staff in the International Programs Office, and you are always welcome to refer students to us. If you, however, want to learn more about programs that are particularly well suited to your specific student population, please let the Education Abroad staff know, and we will assist you in understanding the variety of options available to the students who you serve.

Academic Advising (While Abroad)

Email Advising

While abroad, students may need to be advised by email in order to prepare them for their return to the University of Idaho. We recommend that this advising take place in the same timeframe as other students with the same class standing, so that they can register on time.

Remove Advisor Registration Hold

Students will also need their Advisor Registration Hold removed. Once all holds are removed students currently abroad can register for classes at the U of I as normal.

Transcripts (After Returning)

After students return, foreign transcripts are sometimes slow to follow. The normal time frame for this process is one to three months after the student completes their program. If you have any questions regarding the status of student transcripts, or have urgent requests, please reach out to the Education Abroad staff.

Who Should Complete a Faculty/Staff International Travel Registration?

  • Per University of Idaho policy (APM 70.23), all faculty/staff must register themselves in the International Travel Registration system for any international travel (or travel to a U.S. territory) that is connected in any way to the University of Idaho.

  • If students will accompany faculty or staff abroad then the faculty/staff member leading them must complete a Faculty/Staff-Led International Travel (FSIT) Proposal, not an International Travel Registration. Once this is approved, students will be provided a link to complete their own materials as a part of the trip.

  • If students travel abroad without a faculty or staff member, they must complete the appropriate application, not the International Travel Registration. More details can be found here

Travel to a U.S. Territory

Please complete the International Travel Registration if you will travel to a U.S. Territory. U.S. Territories are considered international for U of I risk management purposes. U.S. Territories include:

  • American Samoa

  • Federated States of Micronesia

  • Guam

  • Midway Islands

  • Northern Mariana Islands

  • Puerto Rico

  • Republic of Palau

  • Republic of the Marshall Islands

  • U.S. Virgin Islands

Additional Insurance Information

State of Idaho Foreign Liability Coverage
As a University of Idaho employee, you are automatically covered by the State of Idaho Foreign Liability Program provided by ACE. This coverage is mainly for Liability, Auto Liability and Foreign Voluntary Workers Comp but has some emergency travel service coverage as well. It does not cover employees while they are in the United States, its possessions or territories. It does not cover employees who are leading students on a trip. Security Evacuation is not available from Iraq or Afghanistan.

ACE does not provide a travel card with phone numbers, but instead, has a website for employees to gain on-line and mobile access to ACE Executive Assistance Services.

1. The employee must first visit the ACE website, then enter the following policy number to register and create their personal profile: PHFD38549984.

2. The employee can use the above website to research the country they are traveling to and create a travel itinerary that will allow ACE to send the employee travel alerts based upon the destination.

3. Printable wallet cards with the ACE 800# travel hotline can also be obtained on the website.

4. Read the ACE Brochure with additional details on the services provided.

Blue Cross coverage abroad through U of I Benefits
If you are enrolled, there is also some international coverage provided by the University of Idaho employee insurance program through Blue Cross. You can find Blue Cross providers abroad at Blue Card Worldwide, however, many of these providers may not actually bill Blue Cross on your behalf. Also, BlueCross may not have the network or connections needed at the time of the illness or injury to provide sufficient medical, medical evacuation, or repatriation of remains services.

Supplemental Insurance May Be Needed
Neither the State of Idaho nor the Blue Cross international coverages are considered sufficient. It is suggested that your department purchase supplemental insurance on your behalf for your international trip. This is an allowable expense on regular university budgets. Those traveling on a grant budget should check with their grant's PI. You can search a variety of policies to meet different needs through InsureMyTrip.

  • Faculty/Staff-Led International Travel (FSIT) is an excellent way for faculty/staff to offer a life-changing international experience to students and/or others while integrating coursework, research, field work, service, internships, etc. At the same time, faculty/staff can gain international experience, network with colleagues at foreign institutions, earn additional salary, and learn new things that can help to internationalize the U of I curriculum upon return.

What is an FSIT?

The university defines any university international travel led by a U of I employee and involving U of I undergraduate or graduate students, authorized third parties, alumni or the public as a Faculty/Staff-Led International Travel program (FSIT). This may include but is not limited to travel for study, research, field-work, service, internship or volunteer work.

University Policy Regarding FSIT Programs

For an FSIT (as defined above) to be considered university sanctioned travel it must be approved by the International Programs Office via the processes laid out in (APM 70.23). This is to ensure that in the rare instance that something goes wrong (natural disaster, political upheaval, student injury, etc.) that you have a team of seasoned professionals working with you, and you have the protection that comes along with the program existing as a University of Idaho program. Absent this U of I registration process, you will, by default, take the full personal liability of program execution individually upon yourself (including the responsibility for the well-being of each individual person participating in the program). Program registration also ensures that your FSIT will be handled in a manner consistent with U of I policy and national standards of best practice.

Creating an FSIT

Consult with the Director of Education Abroad in the International Programs Office and review the FSIT Program Support Manual  for guidance through the program creation process.

Proposal Deadlines

To have your FSIT program approved by the University of Idaho the initial FSIT Proposal must be submitted by the deadlines listed below.

  • Fall, Fall Break, Winter Intercession - December 1 of prior year
  • Spring, Spring Break, Summer - August 1 of prior year

Submit an FSIT Proposal

  • Start your FSIT proposal here

  • Click on “Apply Now” 

  • Login using your U of I Net ID and password 

  • Complete your itinerary, with as much detail as possible and click “Apply” 

  • A program account is created for you 

  • Complete all the electronic questionnaires listed under “Application Questionnaire(s)"

  • Once the questionnaires have been reviewed and approved by the U of I FSIT Coordinator more questionnaires will appear for the second (and final) phase of the FSIT Proposal

Teach Abroad

Visiting Professor (VP) with USAC

The University of Idaho, in collaboration with the University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC), is pleased to offer international teaching opportunities to full-time faculty members (in good standing) for month-long summer or semester-long programs in one of USAC’s specialty programs around the world.

Deadline: Mid-November two years prior to desired teaching assignment

USAC is seeking professors who

  • Can offer at least one course that specifically relates to the teaching site, region, or nation, or is clearly international in nature; language of instruction may be either English or the site’s native language (Spanish, French, etc.).
  • Have student evaluation summaries that reflect superior teaching abilities and written approval from their supervisor, and who will be returning to the University of Idaho following the term abroad
  • Are flexible regarding international living and working conditions and are willing to enthusiastically experience local culture with their students
  • Are willing to contribute to the host university in addition to teaching the selected courses
  • Who are willing to publicize the opportunity to their current and future students

Semester Teaching Compensation

  • USAC offers three different options for compensation: faculty exchange, departmental reimbursement, and direct payment Please see the VP application for further details and eligibility, and contact Education Abroad for the current VP application.
  • USAC provides airfare and assistance in locating housing abroad.
  • Visiting professors may enroll in USAC courses at no cost. Qualified dependents of faculty may enroll in USAC courses at a discounted rate (additional expenses are the responsibility of the dependent).

Summer and January Session Teaching Compensation

  • On summer or January session programs selected visiting professors can apply to teach a one-credit course and will receive $1,500 - $1,850 (depending on the length of program) or a three-credit course for which they would receive $2,750 - $3,450 if the course is approved.
  • USAC provides airfare and assistance in locating housing abroad.
  • Visiting Professors may enroll in USAC courses at no cost. Qualified dependents of faculty may enroll in USAC courses at a discounted rate (additional expenses are the responsibility of the dependent).

If you are interested in applying, please contact the Education Abroad Director at 208-885-8475 or by email at

Teach Abroad with Harlaxton

U of I has recently partnered with Harlaxton College, a unique program in a stunning Victorian manor just an hour outside of London by train.

Through our partnership, U of I professors can apply to teach a summer course that runs late May through early July. Faculty generally teach one course. Once courses are approved, Harlaxton recruits for these courses and then decides which courses will finally run based on enrollment of students.  These decisions are made in late January of the year of the program.   

Approved courses for the Harlaxton summer session a pay a salary at $500 per student enrolled in your class. For more information contact the Education Abroad Director for more information.

Visiting Faculty with CIEE

Join the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) as a guest instructor at one of our Global Institutes in Berlin, Cape Town, London, Madrid, Paris, or Rome.

The Opportunity

  • Share your expertise and strong record of teaching success in one of several disciplines: liberal arts; business; communications and new media; political science and international relations; foreign language and literature (French, German, Spanish, and Italian); and health sciences.
  • Create an environment where U.S. students interact and collaborate with faculty in the classroom and through public events, lectures, and off-site activities.
  • Improve teaching practices and develop professional networks with academics from the host country and region.
  • Connect relevant course content – taught in English, in most cases, to U.S. students – to host cultures and contexts.

Program Duration

Each course is 45 contact hours (60 for language instruction) taught in either a six-week block during a semester or a four-week session in the summer. You can choose how many courses (blocks, sessions) you would like to be considered for.

  • Summer term: Three four-week sessions from late May to mid-August
  • Fall term: Three six-week blocks from mid-August to mid-December
  • Spring term: Three six-week blocks from mid-January to mid-May


Visiting faculty will be compensated in the same range as local adjunct instructors at local market rates, on a sliding scale based on experience and educational preparation. In addition, housing or a housing stipend will be provided.

The Application

Please see the CIEE website for further information on the current application process.

Learn More About CIEE Open Campus Programs

Explore each of the Open Campus programs and review courses by visiting our Global Institutes page.

Faculty/Staff International Development Award (FIDA)

The University of Idaho and the University Studies Abroad Consortium invite faculty and professional staff who would like to spend a month overseas learning a new language and/or culture and who want to promote internationalization at the U of I to apply for a Faculty/Staff International Development Award. FIDA recipients attend a USAC summer program as a student, studying the local language and/or taking regional classes, enhancing their understanding of different cultures.


Applicants must be full-time assistant, associate, or full professors, or professional staff (full-time board appointed or exempt). Preference is given to applicants with limited experience living abroad and with limited first-hand knowledge of USAC. Applicants must be returning on contract to the University of Idaho the following academic year.

Award Details

The number of awards given annually varies. Historically, two to five awards have been given. The award covers tuition for selected one-month summer USAC program plus a stipend of $2,750 to be used for airfare, living expenses and incidental expenses. Housing, food, insurance, optional tours, and additional course costs are not included in the tuition waiver.


Mid-November for awards during the following summer.

Program Details

To learn more about the summer USAC programs available (descriptions of each location, tours available, course offerings, dates, and much more), go to visit the USAC website and indicate “Summer” as the term at the top of the page. Note: Be sure to look at the specific sites/summer terms listed in the FIDA application as not all USAC summer sites are available for the FIDA.

If you are interested in applying or have further questions, please contact the Education Abroad Director at 208-885-8475 or by email at

Fulbright Opportunities

Each year, about 800 faculty and professionals from around the globe will travel to more than 140 countries to lecture and/or conduct research. For over 55 years, scholars have been crossing borders, encountering different cultures, gaining teaching and research insights, and sharing "the Fulbright experience." As a faculty or professional, there are many options for Fulbright service. Read on to learn how you can take advantage of the opportunities created by U.S. Sen J. William Fulbright.

Award and application information on all of these programs can be found through the Comparative and International Education Society. Applicants may apply online. For assistance with your application please contact the Distinguished Scholarships Coordinator in the University of Idaho Honors Program.

German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Grants

DAAD works to foster connections between scholars and institutions in North America and their counterparts in Germany by offering a number of programs to strengthen the links between academe in Germany and North America. These programs support both the activities of individual scholars and post-secondary institutions seeking to strengthen their international ties. Details on these opportunities can be found on the DAAD Faculty website.

Leading a Program Abroad

If you are interested in leading a group of students abroad while teaching University of Idaho curriculum then please see the Leading a Program Abroad section above.

Physical Address:
901 Paradise Creek Street
LLC #3, Ground Floor

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1250
Moscow, ID 83844-1250

Phone: 208-885-7870

Fax: 208-885-2859