Blue cheese and Brussels sprouts. This dish might turn a love-hate relationship into true love. The cheese sauce blends the bold flavor of blue cheese with the milder gouda and gruyere cheeses. The roasted Brussels sprouts pair with tart cranberries to achieve a festive and unique combination that is sure to delight your guests. We hope you enjoy this dish and have as much fun eating it as we had in making it!
From the Kitchen of: Kayla Patarini and Kayla Lutz
Serving Size: 10 Brussels sprouts (with about ¼ C. cheese sauce)
Vegetarian, Gluten Free
- 2 pounds fresh Brussel sprouts, chopped
- ¾ cup fresh cranberries (OR frozen, thawed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 ½ cups Gouda cheese, grated
- 1 ½ cups Gruyere cheese, grated
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons blue cheese, small crumbles
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Cut off brown ends of washed Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves.
3. Halve or quarter Brussels sprouts. Mix them in a bowl with the cranberries, olive oil, coating evenly.
4. Pour them on a baking sheet pan and roast for 30-45 minutes, shake the pan from time to time to brown evenly.
5. While Brussels sprouts are roasting, prepare the cheese sauce in a double boiler (or fondue pot).
6. Fill the bottom portion of the double boiler pan with water, about ¼ of the pan, and heat over medium-low heat until warm.
7. When the water is heated, pour the wine into the upper portion of the double boiler and heat over medium-low until simmering slightly.
8. Toss the prepared cheeses in the cornstarch powder until coated.
9. Turn the heat down to low and stir cheeses into wine, a handful at a time, stirring constantly until all the cheeses are melted and the sauce is smooth, about 15-20 minutes.
10. Keep the sauce warm over low heat until the Brussels sprouts and cranberries are ready to be served. Stir occasionally to maintain texture.
11. Dip roasted Brussels sprouts and cranberries into the cheese sauce or drizzle sauce over Brussels and enjoy!
Nutrition Data (per serving):
Calories (kcal) 325.3
Fat (g) 20.0
Saturated Fat (g) 10.5
Trans Fat (g) 0.0
Cholesterol (mg) 58.2
Sodium (mg) 410.6
Carbohydrate (g) 15.2
Fiber (g) 5.2
Sugar (g) 3.9
Protein (g) 18.3