Tribe from the North Pulse Pecan Pie Bars
By Rachel Krick and Miranda Anspach
Thanksgiving inspired, with a northwestern twist!!
- Yield: 10 -12
- Portion: 1 bar
- 1.5 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1.5 cups halved pecans
- 1 cup chickpeas (canned)
- 1/4 cup dry lentils
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Lentil Prep: Rinse lentils thoroughly. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil on the stove and then pour in ¼ cup of dry lentils. Reduce heat and allow lentils to simmer until they are softened. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Once soft, drain the lentils, pour them over a paper towel to dry, and continue on to the next step! You will have approximately ½ cup of cooked, roasted lentils.
- Chickpea Prep: Thoroughly rinse canned chickpeas under cool water for 1 minute, transfer them onto a baking sheet and pat them with a paper towel until they appear dry. Combine lentils with chickpeas on the sheet and place them into the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove the sheet from the oven, disperse olive oil over the lentils and chickpeas and then sprinkle cinnamon uniformly over the pulses. Return the sheet into the oven for another 10-15 minutes or until crispy. Remove from the oven prior to the next step.
- Crust: Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees and line a 9x13 inch pan with tin foil with enough for a 2-inch overhang on all sides. In a medium bowl, mix 1 1/2 sticks of butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar with a mixer or by hand until uniform. Add in 2 & 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon cinnamon and mix until crumbly. Press the crust evenly into the baking pan and then bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Topping: Combine 1 stick of butter, 1 cup packed light brown sugar, 1/3 cup honey, and 2 tbsp. heavy cream in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth and then add in 1.5 cups pecan halves, 1 cup cinnamon roasted chickpeas, and ½ cup roasted lentils (you will have some of each leftover). Immediately pour mixture onto the crust and return the pan into the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Serving: Allow to cool (the bars will be molten hot!). Lift the foil from the pan and set the bars on a cutting board. Separate from the foil, and then slice them into preferred sizes for bars. They are best served warm. ENJOY!!