Joe Vandal Helmet Horn
Sound the Vandal horn and call everyone to the table! This dish combines the traditional flavors of a loaded baked potato, the unexpected tang of gorgonzola and is served in a Vandal inspired sweet potato “horn.” Inspired by U of I mascot, Joe Vandal’s horned helmet; he stands by these potatoes!
From the Kitchen of Evan Brock and Darcy Rhodes
Serving Size: 1 horn (half of a sweet potato)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 8 strips hickory smoked bacon, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup gorgonzola cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Adjust oven rack to the top position.
2. Pierce each sweet potato 2-3 times with a fork.
3. Place the sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Bake until tender, about 40-45 minutes.
4. While the potatoes are baking, cook bacon in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until fully cooked and crispy. Remove bacon from the pan and drain on paper towels.
5. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, both cheeses, green onions, and diced bacon. Optional: salt and pepper to taste.
6. When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice in half, widthwise. Hollow them out with a spoon, leaving about ½ inch of the sweet potato flesh intact. *Optional: Add sweet potato meat to filling. Mix well.
7. Spoon filling evenly into the hollowed out potato. Repeat with the remaining potatoes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Data (per serving):
Fat: 19 g
Saturated Fat: 8 g
Sodium: 175 mg
Protein: 4 g