This salad combines exotic Asian flavors with a little bit of American sweetness. It includes Asian dressing and seaweed with strawberries, blueberries and white chocolate chips that gives it a nice color and sweet taste. Vandal pride is all about Vandal unity. Bringing two different nations or cultures together to work as one and in this case, bring out a nice flavor. This Rendezvous Salad would be a nice side dish on your Thanksgiving table or great for your “tailgate” party at the Thanksgiving bowl.
From the Kitchen of Raneé Jenkins and Kanako Fujita
- Servings: 6
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Gluten-Free, Vegetarian
- 14 ounces bag of shredded cabbage with carrots or 1/2 medium cabbage head, shredded and 1 medium carrot shredded-divided
- 1/2 medium cucumber, shredded
- 1 sheet of seaweed, torn in bite size pieces
- 1/3 cup of thin sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup of white chocolate chips (can substitute with dairy free chocolate chips)
- 3 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce (Tamari)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of ground sesame seeds
- 3 large strawberries
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- In a medium sized bowl, put cabbage, carrots, cucumber, seaweed, almonds, white chocolate chips and toss together. If using a cabbage head, make sure you cut it in half and only use and shred 1 half of the cabbage.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the sesame seed oil, tamari soy sauce, vinegar and ground sesame seed.
- Pour the dressing on the inside of the bowl and coat the salad to taste.
- Garnish with thin slices of carrots, blueberries and strawberries.
- Thin slices of carrots
- ½ strawberry, diced
- 1 Tablespoon of blueberries
Nutrition Data (per serving)
- Calories: 264 kcal, Protein: 5.8 g, Carbohydrate: 21.5 g, Dietary Fiber: 5.7 g, Total sugar: 13.2 g.
- Added sugar: 7.3 g, Fat: 19.7 g, Saturated fat: 4.4 g, Calcium: 83 mg, Iron: 1.8 mg, Sodium: 466 mg