Vandal Gold (Green) Bean Casserole
Our recipe dresses up green bean casserole, a Thanksgiving standard. Inspired by jalapeño poppers and vandal spirit, this dish brings cream cheese, bacon, jalapeño, golden green beans and a whole lot of pizzazz to the holiday table.
From the Kitchen of Alex Peterson and Nicole Burch
Serving size: 3/4 cup
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 cups fresh yellow green beans, trimmed, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced and seeded
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 8-ounce package cheddar cheese
- 1 8-ounce package mozzarella
- 1 1/3 cups French’s French Fried Onions
- 1/3 cup milk, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. While oven preheats, cook bacon in large skillet according to package directions. When done, place bacon on plate lined with a paper towel to remove excess oil. When cooled, cut into ¼ inch pieces. Set aside. Reserve bacon grease, leaving in skillet for step 5.
3. Wash and trim green beans, cut in halves. Boil for 5-7 minutes and drain. Set aside.
4. While beans are cooking, seed and finely dice jalapeno.
5. Transfer diced jalapeno to pan, cooking in remaining bacon grease for 2-3 minutes. Remove from grease with slotted spoon and transfer sautéed jalapeno to a large bowl.
6. Combine sautéed jalapeno, cooked green beans, cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, and half of the cooked bacon in large bowl; can use up to 1/3 cup milk to increase creaminess. Pour into 10x6x2 pan, spread evenly.
7. Cover top layer with French’s French Fried Onions and remaining half of chopped bacon. Bake for 20 minutes, or until fried onion rings are golden brown.
8. Cool. Serve. Enjoy!
Nutrition Data (per ¾ cup serving):
Total Calories: 614
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Protein: 19 g
Saturated Fat: 24 g
Trans Fat: <1 g
Sodium: 896 mg