Vandals, Unite! We are all in this together! In this recipe, we combine roasted seasonal vegetables from local farms with tropical coconut milk and fresh ginger root to form a delicious unity of flavors, grounded by the rich butternut and elevated by the coconut, lime, and ginger; it is both pleasing to the eye and the palate.
From the Kitchen of Antrim Caskey, Emma Cheslik, and Haley Jenkins
- Servings: 5
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Free of the Big 8 allergens (dairy, eggs, shellfish, wheat, tree nuts, soy, peanuts, and fish)
- Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 3 medium carrots, chopped into 1” rounds
- 1 large red onion, chopped into 1” rounds
- 1 large Huckleberry Gold potato (or Yukon Gold), chopped into 1” cubes
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small butternut squash (use 1 ½ cups)
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
- 1.5” knob of ginger, grated
- ½ lime, zested
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss carrots, red onion, and potato in 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper to coat. Spread vegetables on lined baking sheet.
- Using a fork, poke several holes in the butternut squash around the neck and base.
- Cut bulb of garlic in half horizontally, place on small piece of foil, drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil, and wrap in foil.
- Place sheet of prepared vegetables, butternut squash, and wrapped garlic on the middle shelf of the oven. Bake 45 minutes – 1 hour; sliced vegetables should be tender when pierced with a fork. Insert knife into squash’s neck to check for doneness: this also should be tender and unresisting. When finished, allow to cool enough to handle. Remove peel from squash and cube flesh; set aside 1 ½ cups.
- Toss roasted vegetables, coconut milk, and the roasted garlic cloves to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a large pot, stir in 1 ½ cups water and bring to a simmer.
- Add grated ginger and lime to soup.
- Serve with toasted baguette; garnish with toasted pepitas or minced scallions, optional.
Nutrition Data (per serving)
- Kcal: 278
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated fat: 11 g
- Sodium: 399 mg
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
- Potassium: 506
- Carbohydrates: 22.7 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Vitamin A: 125%
- Vitamin C: 33%
- Iron: 11%