Haru's Miso Soup Recipe
- 4 cups Dashi (Japanese cooking stock made from kombu (dried kelp), katsuo-bushi (dried bonito flakes), niboshi (dried small sardines), hoshi-shiitake (dried shiitake mushrooms).
- 1 package tofu (silken is best)
- 4-5 Tbsp miso paste
- 2 cups Idaho fall seasonal vegetables (sweet potato, onions, winter squash, other), chopped finely - 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubed
- 2 cup Idaho kale, shredded/chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped finely
Boil Dashi. Cut tofu into 1/2" cubes and add to Dashi.
Reduce heat to low and dissolve miso paste in the Dashi. Take care not to boil. Miso is always stirred in at the last minute because boiling it destroys beneficial bacteria and causes it to curdle.
Add chopped Idaho seasonal vegetables and kale, cook for 15 minutes or until tender.
Add green onions, cook for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
Nutrition - 1 Cup Serving
Calories 155, Fat 5 gm, Saturated fat 1 gm; Protein 9 gm; Carbohydrate 18 gm, Sodium 325 mg