M.S. Integrated Architecture and Design
Expertise in Design
The University of Idaho’s Master of Science in Integrated Architecture and Design program addresses the field’s increasingly intersectional nature and prepares existing professionals to anticipate, respond to and incorporate these developments. Environmental, sustainability and social factors have started to play a larger role in architecture and design project planning, resource allocation, building structure and construction. This post-professional master’s program challenges you to be the force of change, one who seamlessly addresses these aspects in conceptualization through completion stages, combines digital technology with traditional theories and methodologies and has a fluid, logic-based perspective of design disciplines and processes.
Setting the next stage for your career, the Master’s in Integrated Architecture and Design is a cross-disciplinary, research-based degree program that encompasses the full scope of the College of Art and Architecture, including Virtual Technology and Design, Art and Design, Landscape Architecture, Interior Architecture and Design and Architecture, and encourages you to go beyond. You’ll take charge of an independent research project rooted in your professional interests under the guidance of a major professor and thesis committee, with the goal of creating an entrepreneurial, action-based solution to a specific, often complex issue facing the design world.
Through the program’s collaborative and integrated environment, your project will take shape, illustrating your grasp and application of creative design thinking, virtualization and visual problem solving while helping establish your credibility in architectural research and expanding your professional presence.
Interested candidates must submit a statement of intent, three letters of recommendation, and a portfolio with their application. Review all requirements to get started.
- This 30-credit program with a thesis or non-thesis (project-based) structure helps strengthen your interdisciplinary background and grow your professional presence. Prepare for a career in academic research and scholarship, expand your firm, or assist a range of architecture and design projects as a consultant or entrepreneur.
- This integrative master’s-level design degree builds upon and serves all programs: Visualization, Environment and Behavior, Urban Design, Community Design and Planning, Universal Design, Landscape Design, Media Design and Sustainable Architecture and Planning, in addition to disciplines outside of the College of Art and Architecture.
- You can enroll on our Moscow campus or at our Boise-based Urban Design Center.
- Students in Boise can participate in design-related research impacting urban communities and improving high-performance, energy-efficient buildings, among other real-world projects.
- Open to candidates with a non-professional degree in any design discipline and/or a professional degree in architecture or landscape architecture, including a B.Arch or M.Arch.