Miranda S. Anderson
Miranda S. Anderson
Clinical Associate Professor, Design Resource Center Coordinator
Interior Architecture and Design Program
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2481
Moscow, Idaho 83844-2481
Clinical Associate Professor Miranda Anderson is a NCIDQ certificate holder and LEED Accredited Professional (BD+C) with numerous awards including a national Teaching Excellence Award from the Interior Design Educators Council (IDEC) and University Mid-Career Faculty Award from the University of Idaho. She specializes in materials evaluation and decision-making for designing healthy interior environments with emphasis in: design for well-being and sustainability, materials and meaning, adaptive reuse/historic preservation and furniture design. She is also Coordinator of the College of Art and Architecture’s Design Resource Center, home to an interdisciplinary collection of innovative design material samples and industry publications to support teaching and learning. Prior to coming to the University of Idaho, Miranda spent eight years in private practice at as an architectural project manager, designer and LEED Accredited Professional, gaining valuable experience on a variety of contract design projects throughout the Northwest.
M. Architecture, University of Idaho, 1999
B.S. Architecture, University of Idaho, 1998
Rome Architecture Program, Pennsylvania State University, Rome, Italy
- NCIDQ Certificate #35028, National Council for Interior Design Qualification (since 2014)
- LEED AP BD+C specialization, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional, Building Design and Construction, U.S. Green Building Council (since 2011)
- LEED AP, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional, U.S. Green Building Council (since 2004)
- IDEC, ASID, IIDA, NEWH
- Design for Wellness, Sustainability
- Materials Evaluation and Transparency
- Materials and Meaning
- Historic Preservation/Adaptive Reuse
- Furniture Design
- Anderson, J. and Anderson, M.S. (2012). “Capacity”, art installation, Best of Show Award and $1,000 Grand Prize in Sustenance, Juried Exhibition, Visual Arts Collective gallery, Boise State University, Boise, ID.
- Anderson, M.S. (2012). “Think Global, Design Local: Utilizing Ecotourism Principles to Foster a Global Perspective in the Beginning Design Student. IDEC Annual Conference Proceedings, Baltimore, MD.
- Anderson, M.S. (2009). Sustainable Materials Specification: A Question of Origins. Chapter in Gu, N., Ostwald, M. and Williams, A. (Eds.), Computing, Cognition and Education: Recent Research in the Architectural Sciences. ANZAScA. pp. 189-203.
- Anderson, M.S. (2008). Energy Materialized: Speculation and the Unseen in Design Specification. Australia and New Zealand Architectural Sciences Association (ANZAScA) Annual Conference Proceedings. pp. 171-177.
- Historic Preservation/Adaptive Reuse: interdisciplinary design project proposals for the Basque Block historic district, downtown Boise, ID
- Historic Preservation/Adaptive Reuse: design proposals for a new learning laboratory for the Lewis-Clark Early Childcare Program in the historic Hurlbut Mansion by architect Kirkland Cutter, Lewiston, ID
- Design for Teaching and Learning: charter school interior design, Moscow, ID
- Workplace Design: start-up corporate office interior design, Coeur d’Alene, ID
- University Mid-Career Faculty Award, University of Idaho excellence award that acknowledges faculty who have demonstrated a commitment to outstanding scholarship, teaching and engagement, $10,000 award (2019)
- Faculty/Staff International Development Award (FIDA) recipient, $2,750 grant to participate in a University Study Abroad Consortium (USAC) summer program in Bilbao, Spain (2018)
- Teaching Excellence Award, national-level award given by the Interior Design Educators Council (IDEC) to Miranda Anderson and Jay Pengilly (2016)
- 5 Alumni Awards for Excellence. A university-level award for excellence in mentorship given by the University of Idaho Alumni Association (2009, 2010, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Faculty Service-Learning Fellow; University of Idaho Career and Professional Planning Service-Learning Center (2008)
- Faculty advisor to student recipients of: 32 regional, 12 national, and 6 international design awards (2008-2018)