Rula Awwad Rafferty
Program Head Interior Architecture and Design, Professor
Interior Architecture and Design Program
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2481
Moscow, Idaho 83844-2481
I teach a range of design studios, hands-on applied and theory courses (cultural and spatial agency, universal design, ... etc); Junior and Senior ID studios (community based) and theory courses. Previously I also taught Junior, senior, and graduate LARC studios and theory courses, graduate studios and thesis, integrated college and university curriculum, and advise undergraduate and graduate students in the college/university.
Serve as a faculty adviser for the umbrella multicultural student organization on campus--UNITY.
Member of President Diversity Council, as well as on other university and community committees.
I embrace a scholarship of outreach and engagement, pedagogy, and discovery; from participatory/emancipatory approach; weaving many narratives to understand the numerous authentic stories of place, identity, and people. I love working across many paradigms and disciplines, always pushing a boundary or exploring a possibility.
PhD, Interdisciplinary: Arch, PolySci, Anth, ID, Washington University, 1995
M Arch in Vernacular Architecture, University of Idaho, 1990
B Arch, Yarmouk University, 1985
- Environment and behavior interaction
- Factors affecting quality of life in the built environment: physical, cultural, social, and psychological
- Culture and resettlement: resettlement of cultural groups, elderly, health care applications, and military
- Adaptive reuse applications and community building
- Sense of place: place attachment and identity, conflict and place, security and place attachment
- Vernacular architecture
- Interdisciplinary design education
- Experiential approaches to understanding the physical and metaphorical parameters of interior spaces
- Studio applications
- Awwad-Rafferty, R., O’Shea, L. 2009. "Design & Security in the Built Environment," Fairchild Books.
- Awwad-Rafferty, R., Essay on Service for Chapter 2 (The Nature of Interior Design Education) and on engaged learning/service learning for Chapter 5 (Studio Learning), in: The Roles of the Full-Time Academic in Interior Design: Practical Strategies for Teaching & Learning. Kathy Ankerson and Jill Pable. Fairchild Books. March 2008. (invited, and blind reviewed)
- Online Field / Engagement Report: Being in Place, of Place, in Qula. Rula Awwad-Rafferty. 2008. Published in Zochrot Activities Reports; English:
- Native American Student development Conference. Participant. 2008
- Quality of Graduate Education retreat facilitator. May 2008. University of Idaho. Moscow, ID.
- Inland Northwest Partnership --Revitalizing Your Community Through Grassroots Leadership. Exhibit and representation of BSCI. Post Falls, ID. Summer, 2008.
- Susan Nathan visit and lecture: The other side of Israel. University wide/cross campuses with WSU initiation, team building, fund raising, coordination, and delivery. Fall 2008.
- Idaho Green Expo, Boise, ID. Exhibit, outreach representing BSCI, BRP, MOSS, and Department of Landscape Architecture and University of Idaho. Summer 2008.
- Learning Practice Collaborative supervision with Stites, Idaho. Student: Hanna Persson. Spring and summer 2008.
- Community centers as a third place (in partnership with Horizons program), Spring and summer 2008.
- The Idaho House/and The Governor’s mansion alternatives’ explorations—In progress work with Idaho First Lady Lori Otter. Spring 2008.
- Interdisciplinary steering group --campus and community engagement-- to facilitate, coordinate, and fundraise for Greg Mortenson’s (Three Cups of Tea) visit to campus, and to sponsor building a school in Pakistan in the name of the University of Idaho community. Fall 2007 and spring 2008.
- Fall 2008 Received Alumni Association Award for Faculty Excellence. Nominated by Hanna Persson. University of Idaho
- Spring 2008 Received The 2008 University of Idaho Excellence of Outreach Award, 2008.
- Fall 2007 Received Alumni Association Award for Faculty Excellence. Nominated by Tess Nally. University of Idaho
- Spring 2007 University of Idaho Service Learning Fellow