Technical Design Studio
Our state-of-the-art technical design studio has all of the latest tools and equipment necessary for studio projects and building sessions. All College of Art and Architecture students have the opportunity to put their design skills to use in the shop and create anything from models to artwork frames to furniture.
Training and Shop Safety Orientation
Director David Schmidt provides an in-depth training and shop safety orientation for all students who will be using the technical design studio. This training must be completed before you are allowed access to the shop. Orientations are typically scheduled through class instructors. If you miss the assigned training, please contact David to reschedule.
Monday and Thursday
9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Exceptions to normal hours are posted in advance on the screen at the Tech Shop entrance.
COVID-19 policies for the Fall 2020 semester
We have implemented the following policy changes to meet social distancing and sanitation guidelines:
- Students must be cleared to attend in-person classes before using the Tech Shop.
- Maximum occupancy is 7 users. Students will check in with staff upon arrival and will be assigned to a sanitized work station.
- During busy periods, there will be a 30-minute time limit on visits to accommodate more students.
- Students must wash their hands before and after using shop equipment.
- Before departing, students will sanitize the safety glasses they used.
- Each student will be provided with a plastic face shield to use in the Tech Shop, as cloth face coverings tend to fog safety glasses. The shield is theirs to keep and should be brought in whenever using the shop.
Access laser cutters
Students can see instructions for the Tech Studio laser cutters and schedule an appointment to use them on our Laser Cutter Scheduling App.
Students can purchase laser cutter ready materials, architectural scale basswood lumber, and wood and craft glues at the Tech Shop’s online store.