Basic and Applied Physiology Research
The Basic and Applied Physiology Research laboratory mainly focuses on understanding the systemic physiology, skeletal muscle, respiratory physiology, metabolism and growth of beef cattle.
- Systemic physiology
- Skeletal muscle
- Respiratory physiology
- Metabolism and growth
- Rumen protected Histidine trial demonstrated the effectiveness of dietary supplementation of histidine for 25-30 days immediately pre-harvest to improve final growth and carcass/meat quality attributes.
- Address the real-world economic loss associated with an increasing number of heifers chronologically under 30 months of age being discounted and assigned carcass maturity of B-maturity, C-maturity and even utility grade due to advanced skeletal maturity.
- Understanding respiratory ventilation and the interaction between physical gas exchange and the respiratory tract in health and disease.
- Beta-agonist trial (ractopamine-HCl) in beef cattle, individually fed in Calan gates, intake, feed conversion, growth and muscle fiber type assessed. — Madison Dinning-Hill, M.S.
- Novel insights into vertebrate striated muscle physiology: Influence of dietary and extra-dietary factors on skeletal and cardiac muscle gene expression. — Kalyan C. Chapalamadugu, Ph.D.
- In vitro development of bovine muscle cell clones, laser microdissection, influence on fatty acids on muscle cell growth, influence of polyamines and co-culture of muscle and fat cells on myogenesis, and the first RP-histidine trial in individually fed beef steers at University of Idaho. — Kara Thornton-Kurth, Ph.D.
- Understanding the effects of interleukins in monocultures of bovine muscle cells and co-cultures of muscle cells with fats cells. — Jessica Macumber
- Largest trial thus far at U of I relating RP-histidine, evaluating growth of beef steers and beef quality attributes including color, color stability, flavor and anti-oxidant content. — Breann Sandberg, M.S.
- Developed the first validated primer/probe sets for evaluation of myogenic and anabolic genes in muscle tissue from Sablefish (Anoplopoma fimbria). — Lisa Armbruster, M.S.
- Assessing the optimal microenvironment for muscle cell growth and the influence of growth factors and cytokines on muscle cell determination, differentiation, maturation, myotube formation and fusion. — Stephen Tamm, M.S.
- Assessing potential physiological causes of advanced maturity in chronologically young beef heifers. Outcomes of this trial are highly promising and likely basis of a future grant proposal. — Antonetta Colacchio, M.S.
- Effects of polyamines on the expression of myogenic transcription factors in two cell lines; c2c12 and sol8. This research advances the understanding of macronutrient regulation of myogenesis in mammalian species towards providing natural means of improving muscle growth in livestock and humans. — Avani Gouru, M.S.
- M.E. Doumit, Christopher Williams, Ronald Richard, Michael Colle, Matthew Colle, William Loucks, Gordon Murdoch Effect of ascorbic acid and rosemary extract on quality characteristics and sensory perception of extended aged beef. (Meat and Muscle Biology, accepted Jan. 03, 2019).
- Rabijit Dutta, Tao Xing, Gordon K. Murdoch Comparison of flow and gas washout characteristics between PCV and HFPV in healthy and formalin fixed ex vivo porcine lungs. Physiological Measurements (Accepted August 2018). https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6579/aada73.
- N. Hezarjaribi, R. Dutta, T. Xing, G.K. Murdoch and Hassan Ghasemzadeh Monitoring Lung Mechanics during Mechanical Ventilation using Machine Learning Approach. (2018) Refereed Proceedings of Engineering in Medicine and Biology July 2018.
- R. Dutta, T. Xing, C. Swanson, J. Heltborg, G. K. Murdoch Comparison of flow and gas washout characteristics between pressure control and high frequency percussive ventilation using a test lung. Physiological Measurement Physiol Meas. 2018 Mar 15; 39 (3):035001. doi: 10.1088/1361-6579/aaaaa2 ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-1889-0825.
- M.J. Colle, J.A. Nasados, J.M. Rogers, D.M. Kerby, M.M. Colle, J.B. Van Buren, R.P. Richard, G.K. Murdoch, C.J. Williams, M.E. Doumit. Strategies to improve beef tenderness by activating calpain-2 earlier postmortem. (2017) Meat Science doi: 10.1016/j.meatsci.2017.08.008.
- K. J. Thornton, K.C. Chapalamadugu, E. M. Eldredge and G.K. Murdoch Analysis of Longissimus thoracis protein expression associated with variation in carcass quality grade and marbling of beef cattle raised in the Pacific northwestern United States. (2017) Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry Jan. 24 DOI 10.1021/acs.jafc.6b02795.
- B. M. Murdoch, G. K. Murdoch, S. Greenwood, S. McKay Nutritional Influence on Epigenetic Marks and Effect on Livestock Production. (2016) Frontiers in Genetics: nutrigenomics. Sept. 27, doi: 10.3389/fgene.2016.00182.
- A. Villasante, M. Powell, G.K. Murdoch, K. Overturf, J. Wacyk, R. Hardy effect of anthocyanidins on myogenic differentiation in induced and non-induced myoblasts from rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). (2016) Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. Mar 10; 196-197:102-108. doi: 10.1016/j.cbpb.2016.03.004.
- A. Villasante, M. Powell, K. Moutou, G.K. Murdoch K. Overturf, J. Wacyk, R. Hardy Effects of anthocyanidins on myogenic differentiation and antioxidant defense in primary myogenic cells isolated from rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) (2016) Aquaculture 454 81-89.
Share URL: uidaho.edu/cals/physiology
Meet our graduate students