Idaho FCS Teacher Apparel and Textiles Professional Development Workshop
Textiles Base Camp 3 is moving online. Join us in our virtual Apparel, Textiles and Design studio for a deep dive into textiles and apparel techniques. Two days of faculty-led workshops will cover upcycling, tech packs, weaving and garment construction. There are 20 spots available and registration will close on June 1. Kits will be shipped out on June 3 to all registered participants.
Two credits of professional development are available at $65 per credit. Please register for: FCS505 PD: Textiles Base Camp CRN83881
Weaving Workshop — Sonya Meyer
Wednesday, June 17 | 9 a.m. to noon
- Woven textiles use a variety of structures and processes that produce wildly different fabrics. Participants will learn several weaving techniques used for tapestry and beads. Each participant will receive a tapestry and bead loom.
Upcycling Workshop — Chelsey Lewallen
Wednesday, June 17 | 1-3 p.m.
Upcycling garments is a popular and inexpensive way to sustainably customize your wardrobe. Give new life to your old garments and textiles with this creative workshop using multiple techniques for sewists and non-sewists alike.
Garment Construction Workshop — Chelsey Lewallen
Thursday, June 18 | 9 a.m. to noon
- Personal Protective Equipment: In this workshop, participants will learn how to construct a mask and hat from start to finish. We will focus on how to measure and mark the pattern on fabric, accurate cutting techniques and the order of operations/method in which the garment is constructed.
Tech Pack Workshop — Lori Wahl
Thursday, June 18 | 1-3 p.m.
- The technical pack is the communication tool for product development from the design to the factory and all points in between. Participants will learn how to create tech packs that support the garment created in the Garment Construction Workshop. Tech Pack knowledge was a desired skill brought up at the Idaho Apparel and Textiles Industry Summit in 2019.
- Cost is $70 per participant and includes a kit that will be mailed to you.
Questions? Email Lori Wahl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requirements to participate
- Access to a computer and high-speed internet. Workshops/presentations will be delivered via Zoom.
- Access to a functional sewing machine and know how to operate it.
- Access to a spreadsheet program such as Excel or Google Sheets.
Summer Design Days
June 23-26, 2021
At Summer Design Days, high school students explore art and design majors while getting a feel for studio life on the U of I campus.