Jang Ho Kim
Jang Ho Kim
Assistant Professor, Extension Food Safety Specialist
Food Research Center
School of Family and Consumer Sciences
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1052
Moscow, ID 83844-1052
Jang is an experienced food scientist. He provides evidence-based educational information related to value-added processing and consumer food safety on home food preservation, sanitation, food handling, food recalls and warnings.
Ph.D., Mississippi State University, 1999
M.S., Kyungsung University, Korea, 1990
B.S., Kyungsung University, Korea, 1988
- Microbiological risk assessment of food product
- Study of the effectiveness of various antimicrobial agents
- Study of Biofilm problems of working surfaces in food industry
- Development of various value-added food products using produce
- Develop and maintain consumer food safety educational program
- Collaboration with county faculty and statewide food safety topic team
- Presentation of workshops, seminars and training short courses related to the consumer food safety
- Novotny, R., Fialkowski, M.K., Li, F., Paulino, Y., Vargo, D., Jim, R., Coleman, P., Bersamin, A., Nigg, C.R., Guerrero, R.L., Deenik, J., Kim, J., and Wilkens, L.R. 2014. Systemic Review of Prevalence of Young Child Overweight and Obesity in the United States-Affiliated Pacific Region Compared with the 48 Contiguous States: The Children’s Healthy Living Program. Am. J. Pub. Health. Published online ahead of print on November 13, 2014.
- Wilken, L.R., Novotny, R., Fialkowski, M.K., Boushey, C.J., Nigg, C., Paulino, Y., Guerrero, R.L., Bersamin, A., Vargo, D., Kim, J., and Deenik, J. 2013. Children's Healthy Living (CHL) Program for Remote Underserved Minority Populations of the Pacific Region: Rationale and design of a community randomized trial to prevent early childhood obesity. BMC Pub. Health. 13(1): 944-957.
- Novotny, R., Fialkowski, M.K., Areta, A.A.R., Bersamin, A., Braun, K., Debaryshe B., Deenik, J., Dunn, M., Hollyer, J., Kim, J., Guerrero, R.L., Nigg, C.R., Takahashi, R., and Wilken, L.R. 2013. University of Hawai'i Cancer Center Connection: The Pacific Way to Child Wellness: The Children's Healthy Living Program for Remote Underserved Minority Populations of the Pacific Region (CHL). Hawaii J. Med. Pub. Health. 72(11): 406-408.
- Kim, J. H., Byun, M. W., Shon, S. H., Jang, A., Lee, K. T., Lee, M., and Jo, C. 2008. Reduction of volatile compounds and off-odor production in irradiated ground pork using a charcoal packaging. J. Muscle Foods. 19: 194-208.
- Kim, J.H., Jo, C., Rho, Y.T., Lee, C.B., and Byun, M.W. 2007. Comparison of gamma irradiation and sodium hypochlorite treatments to inactivate Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms on stainless steel surfaces. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 16: 315-319.
- Kim, J.H., J.W. Lee, J.H. Kim, J.H. Seo, S.B. Han, H.J. Chung, and M.W. Byun. 2006. Effect of gamma irradiation on Listeria ivnovii inoculated to iceberg lettuce stored at cold temperature. Food Control. 17: 397-401.
- Excellent Instructor Award. Department of Food and Biotechnology, Korea University, 2006.
- Member of Phi Tau Sigma Honorary Society since 1999