Kimberly Research and Extension Center
University of Idaho
3806 N 3600 E
Kimberly, ID 83341-5082
Ph.D., Washington State University
M.S., Washington State University
B.A., Connecticut College
- Conduct research on potato sprout and disease control in storage, variety specific storage management and optimizing field and storage conditions to maintain high quality potatoes
- Evaluate seed potato quality and performance
- Provide statewide support for efficient and effective potato production and storage management
- Direct an extension management program in cooperation with extension and research faculty related to economical, effective and sustainable production and storage technology of potatoes
- Disseminate information regarding research, new technology and management practice
- Olsen, N., T. Brandt, and W. J. Price. 2018. The impact of retail light source on greening of Russet Burbank potato tubers. American J of Potato Research 95:123-129.
- Waxman, A., J. Stark, M. Thornton, N. Olsen, J. Guenthner and R. Novy. 2018. The effect of harvest timing on French fry textural quality of three processing potato varieties: Russet Burbank, Alpine Russet, and Clearwater Russet. Am. J of Potato Research. October 2018. DOI: 10.1007/212230-018-9686-5.
- Waxman, A., J. Stark, J. Guenthner, N. Olsen, M. Thornton and R. Novy. 2018. An economic analysis of the effects of harvest timing on yield, quality, and processing contract price for three potato varieties. Am. J. of Potato Research. June 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s12230-018-9663-z.
- Novy, R., J. L. Whitworth, J. C. Stark, B. L. Schneider, N. R. Knowles, M. J. Pavek, L. O. Knowles, B. A. Charlton, V. Sathuvalli, S. Yilma, C. R. Brown, M. Thornton, T. L. Brandt, N. Olsen. 2017. Payette Russet: a dual-purpose potato cultivar with cold-sweetening resistance, low acrylamide formation, and resistance to late blight and Potato Virus Y. American J of Potato Research 94(1): 38-53.
- Wenninger, E. A. Carrol, J. Dahan, A. Karasev, M. Thornton, J. Miller, P. Nolte, N. Olsen and W. Price. 2017. Phenology of the potato psyllid, Bactericera cockerelli (Hemiptera: Triozidae), and Candidatus Liberibacter solanacearum in commercial fields in Idaho. Environmental Entomology. October 2017. DOI: 10.1093/ee/nvx158
- Funke, C.N., O.V. Nikolaeva, K. Green, L.T. Tran, M. Chikh-Ali, A. Quintero-Ferrer, R. Cating, K. Frost, P. Hamm, N. Olsen, M. Pavek, S. Gray, J. Crosslin, and A. Karasev. 2017. Strain-specific resistance to Potato virus Y (PVY) in potato and its effect on the relative abundance of PVY strains in commercial potato fields. Plant Disease 101: 20-28. DOI: 10.1094/PDIS-06-16-0901-RE.
- Wang, Y., N.L. Olsen, T.L. Brandt. 2016. A Historical Look at Russet Burbank Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) Quality under Different Storage Regimes. American Journal of Potato Research. DOI: 10.1007/s12230-016-9524-6.
- Schisler, D.A., P.J. Slininger, and N. Olsen. 2016. Appraisal of selected osmoprotectants and carriers for formulating Gram-negative biocontrol agents active against Fusarium dry rot on potatoes in storage. Biological Control 98:1-10.
- Zglobicki, S.A., A. D. Moore, and N. Olsen. 2016. Salt accumulation and potato tuber yield response to dairy manure application histories in south-central Idaho. American Journal of Potato Research 93(2):150-157.
- Olsen, N. 2015. Potato Storage Management: A Global Perspective. Potato Research. DOI 10.1007/s11540-015-9283-7.
- Outstanding Extension Project Award, Potato Association of America, 2013
- Excellence in Outreach & Extension Award, University of Idaho, 2011-12
- Excellence in Extension Award, University of Idaho, 2011-12
- Special Recognition Award, Idaho Potato Commission, 2005
- Nominated for outstanding paper of the year from the American Journal of Potato Research, 2004