Carolyn Hovde Bohach
Carolyn Hovde Bohach
University Distinguished Professor
Carolyn's focus is infectious disease with emphasis on the foodborne pathogen E. coli O157:H7. Primary interests are in the relationship of this human pathogen with healthy cattle.
Ph.D., University of Minnesota, 1985
MT (ASCP), Swedish Hospital Medical Center, 1976
B.S., University of Illinois, 1975
- Van Hofwegen, D, CJ Hovde, and SA Minnich. 2016. Rapid evolution of citrate utilization by Escherichia coli by direct selection requires citT and dctA. J Bact. In Press.
- Sheng, H, S Shringi, KNK Baker, SA Minnich, CJ Hovde*, and TE Besser*. *similar contribution. 2016. Standardized Escherichia coli O157:H7 exposure studies in cattle provide evidence that bovine factors do not drive increased summertime colonization. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 82:964-971. doi:10.1128/AEM.02839-15.
- Martorelli, L, CJ Hovde, DA Vilte, A Albanese, E Zotta, C Ibarra, RJC Cantet, EC Mercado and A Cataldi. 2015. Impact of infection dose and previous serum antibodies against the locus of enterocyte effacement proteins on Escherichia coli O157:H7 shedding in calves following experimental infection. BioMed Res. Internatl. 2015, Article ID 290679, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/290679.
- Kudva IT, Krastins B, Torres AG, Griffin RW, Sheng H, Sarracino DA, Hovde CJ, Calderwood SB, John M. 2015. The Escherichia coli O157:H7 cattle immuno-proteome includes outer membrane protein A (OmpA), a modulator of adherence to bovine recto-anal junction squamous epithelial (RSE) cells. Proteomics. Jan 23. doi: 10.1002/pmic.201400432. PMID:25643951.
- Nguyen, YN, H Sheng, R Dakarapu, JR Falck, CJ Hovde, V Sperandio. 2013. The Acyl-Homoserine Lactone Synthase YenI from Yersinia enterocolitica Modulates Virulence Gene Expression in Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli. Infect. Immun. 81:4192-4199.
- Sheng, H, YN Nguyen, CJ Hovde, and V Sperandio. 2013. SdiA aids enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli carriage by cattle fed a forage or grain diet. 2013. Infect. Immun. 81:3472-3478.
- Honorary Professor, Jiangsu Academy of Agricultural Sciences (JAAS)
- The Al Thompson Award, Northwest Association for Biomedical Research
- Excellence in Outreach and Engagement UI Award
- Fellow of the AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science)
- University of Idaho Faculty Member of the Year
- ASM Carski Foundation Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching Award.
- Outstanding Faculty Award, UI Student Disability Services
- R. M. Wade College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Excellence in Teaching Award
- UI Alumni Award for faculty Excellence