Joyner’s courses focus on practical application of food science concepts, critical thinking and problem-solving. Topics covered include engineering and quality management principles that are used in the food industry as well as sensory aspects of dairy products. She uses multiple active learning strategies in all courses to promote improved depth of learning and long-term retention.
Ph.D. North Carolina State University, 2012
M.S., North Carolina State University, 2009
B.S., Drexel University, 2007
- Rheology and tribology of foods
- Food structure-mechanico/friction-texture relationships
- Curriculum and course development and assessment
- Joyner (Melito) HS, Meldrum AD. 2016. Rheological study of different mashed potato preparations using large amplitude oscillatory shear and confocal microscopy. Journal of Food Engineering. 169:326-337. doi: 10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2015.08.032.
- Anvari M, Tabarsa M, Cao RCC, You S, Joyner (Melito) H, Behnam S, Rezaei M. 2016. Compositional characterization and rheological properties of an anionic gum from Alyssum homolocarpum seeds. Food Hydrocolloids. 52: 766-773. doi:10.1016/j.foodhyd.2015.07.030.
- Joyner (Melito) HS, Damiano H. 2015. Influence of various hydrocolloids on cottage cheese cream dressing stability. International Dairy Journal. 51:24-33.
- Joyner (Melito) HS, Pernell CW, Daubert CR. 2014. Impact of oil-in-water emulsion composition and preparation method on emulsion physical properties and friction behaviors. Tribology Letters. 56(1):143-160.
- Joyner (Melito) HS, Pernell CW, Daubert CR. 2014. Impact of formulation and saliva on acid milk gel friction behavior. Journal of Food Science, 79(5):867-880.
- Joyner (Melito) HS, Pernell CW, Daubert CR. 2014. Impact of parameter settings on normal force and gap height during tribological measurements. Journal of Food Engineering, 137:51-63.
- Joyner (Melito) HS, Pernell CW, Daubert CR 2014. Beyond surface selection: the impact of different methodologies on tribological measurements. Journal of Food Engineering, 134:45-58. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Melitoa,b HS, Daubert CD, Foegeding EA. 2013. Relationships between nonlinear viscoelastic behavior and rheological, sensory, and oral processing behavior of commercial cheeses. Journal of Texture Studies, 44(4):253-288.
- Melitoa,b HS, Daubert CD, Foegeding EA. 2013. Relating large-amplitude oscillatory shear and food behavior: correlation of nonlinear viscoelastic, rheological, sensory, and oral processing behavior of whey protein isolate/κ-carrageenan gels. Journal of Food Process Engineering, 36(4):521-534.
Food Science education research papers:
- Harris GK, Joyner (Melito) HS, Stevenson CD. 2015. Taking an attention-grabbing “Headlines First!” approach to engage students in a lecture setting. Journal of Food Science Education. 14(4):136-141.
- Joyner (Melito) HS, Smith D. 2015. Using Delphi surveying techniques to gather input from non-academics for development of a modern dairy manufacturing curriculum. Journal of Food Science Education. 14:88-115.