James Martin Lab, Room 81A
Department of Soil and Water Systems
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2060
Moscow, Idaho 83844-2060
I research evapotranspiration, precision agriculture technology and irrigation, and fundamental physics. I enjoy working with students and collaborating with other scientists and engineers to improve agriculture's economic and environmental sustainability.
Ph.D., Oregon State University, 2016
B.S., Oregon State University, 2012
- Evapotranspiration and crop water use
- Precision agriculture technology
- Remote sensing of crops and soil
- Digital soil mapping and GIS applications
- Boundary layer physics and environmental fluid mechanics
- Chad Higgins, S. Drake, S. Wharton, H. Oldroyd, D. Jensen, J. Kelley. "Atmospheric Response to the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse." Invited Paper, in press. Hydrosphere Frontiers.
- Kelley, Jason, and C. Higgins. “Computational Efficiency for the Surface Renewal Method.” Atmospheric Measurement Techniques 11, no. 4 (2018): 2151–58. DOI:10.5194/amt-11-2151-2018.
- Higgins, C. W., M. G. Wing, J. Kelley, C. Sayde, J. Burnett, and H. A. Holmes. “A High Resolution Measurement of the Morning ABL Transition Using Distributed Temperature Sensing and an Unmanned Aircraft System.” Environmental Fluid Mechanics 18, no. 3 (2018): 683–93. DOI: 10.1007/s10652-017-9569-1
- Kelley, Jason, C. Higgins, M. Pahlow, and J. Noller. “Mapping Soil Texture by Electromagnetic Induction: A Case for Regional Data Coordination.” Soil Science Society of America Journal, 2017. DOI:10.2136/sssaj2016.12.0432.
- Higgins, Chad, R. Stewart, Z. Liu, J. Kelley. “Design Guide For Roadside Infiltration Strips In Western Oregon”. Oregon Dept. of Transportation Research Report SPR758. 2016.
- Higgins, Chad, J. Kelley, C. Barr, and C. Hillyer. “Determining the Minimum Management Scale of a Commercial Variable-Rate Irrigation System.” Transactions of the ASABE 59, no. 6 (December 2016). DOI:10.13031/trans.59.11767.
- Higgins, Chad, J. Kelley, Z. Liu, C. Hillyer. “Using Soil Electrical Conductivity Mapping for Precision Irrigation in the Columbia Basin” Northwest Energy Efficiency Alliance Report #E15-010. 2015. NEEA Reports available at www.neea.org/resource-center/
- USDA-NIFA Post-doctoral Fellowship 2017-2019 Award #2017-67012-26125
- Myron G. Cropsey Agricultural Engineering Scholarship, May 2015
- Oregon State Water Resources Graduate Program - Faculty Award for Excellence, May 2014
- Edward S. Allen Agricultural Engineering Endowment Award, 2010 & 2011
- Watershed Steward Award, Marys River Watershed Council, 2013