Research and Extension
The Department of Soil and Water Systems is active in basic, applied and interdisciplinary research and delivers UI Extension programming.
- Current research focuses on the environmental factors and processes that form soils and ultimately influence their use and management.
- Learn about the distribution, properties, ecological significance and use of the 12 soil orders.
- Explore the compartments and growth chambers programmed with the fully automated Argus environmental control system, as well as its own weather station.
- This UI Extension program provides a unique opportunity to learn about and document regional water issues.
- The water resources group at the U of I Kimberly Research and Extension Center conducts research on water quality and hydrology.
- Explore our collection of bulletins, field guides and other publications.