Advanced Studies in Literature
Advanced literary studies challenge you to think and write critically about how words can reflect and shape the world. Take courses in language, literature, composition, rhetoric and more to prepare for teaching college-level English or pursuing a doctorate. This program offers a thesis and non-thesis option.
- The M.A. is a two-year graduate program in literary studies, cultural studies and rhetoric/composition.
- Students work closely with nationally-known faculty, who are active researchers in their fields.
- We are a world-class center for studies in literature and the environment; students have the opportunity to work on the journal Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment, as well as to secure an internship in the Confluence Lab, an interdisciplinary research lab with scholars from the humanities, social sciences and sciences addressing environmental problems.
- Students sponsor the University of Idaho Graduate English Conference (UIGEC), an annual regional event organized and hosted by M.A. English students.
- We have strong record of placing students into leading doctoral programs,and others directly into teaching positions at colleges and universities.