Director of Professional Writing, Senior Instructor
216 Brink Hall
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1102
Moscow, Idaho 83844-1102
Karen Thompson teaches courses in professional writing. She also is a lead developer of the professional writing curriculum and instructional design of these courses.
- M.A., University of Idaho, 1994
- B.A., University of Idaho, 1992
Karen's faculty experience includes developing and teaching curriculum for professional writing courses, American literature, American studies and integrated seminar classes in both the social sciences and humanities.
Karen is also the instructional designer for our online professional writing courses.
In teaching professional writing, Karen draws upon more than 15 years of professional experience in the private sector as well as ongoing work with various departments at the University of Idaho as a technical writer/reviewer/editor and professional communication consultant.
- Award for Teaching Excellence, University of Idaho Alumni Association, 2001
- Vandal Helping Hand Award, 2000
- Associated Students Teaching Excellence Award, 1999
- Who’s Who Among American Teachers, 1996
- Graduate Student Association Teaching Excellence Award, 1996
- Grace V. Nixon Scholarship, 1993-1994
- Phi Beta Kappa member since 1992