Note: these instructions only apply to undergraduate students in the College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences. If you are a student in another college please contact your college’s Dean’s Office for assistance.
As a student, you may find yourself in a difficult academic situation. In the event that extenuating circumstances have contributed to your academic standing, class registration, academic performance or any number of other academic related concerns, an academic petition may be an appropriate course of action. Here are the steps you would need to take in order to submit an academic petition.
- Meet with your academic advisor and discuss what you would like to petition and the circumstances surrounding the issue. Your advisor will work with you to decide if a petition is in your best interest.
- If a petition is appropriate, start by filling out the Academic Petitions form.
- Obtain letters of support from relevant parties (if appropriate).
- Obtain any supporting documentation (medical documents, legal documents, etc.)
- Pay the $10 petitions fee at the Student Accounts window in the Bruce M. Pitman Center or by phone at 208-885-7447 or email at: email@example.com.
- Return your petition form and any relevant documentation to Charles Tibbals, in the CLASS Dean’s Office no later than 5 p.m. on Tuesday each week.
- Please contact Charles with any questions via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at: 208-885-7981 or please stop by the Dean’s Office, Room 112 in the Administration Building.
The completed petition is presented to a committee of University of Idaho faculty members who will deliberate the facts and regulations relevant to your situation. It is important to note that the committee may or may not approve your petition. A CLASS Dean’s Office representative will contact you as soon as possible once a decision is reached.