Phinney Hall 112
Department of Sociology & Anthropology
University of Idaho
P.O. Box 1110
Moscow, Idaho 83844-1110
Kristine Levan is an assistant professor of Sociology.
- Ph.D., Criminology, University of Texas at Dallas, 2007
- M.S., Applied Sociology, University of Texas at Dallas, 2005
- B.A., Crime and Justice Studies, University of Texas at Dallas, 2003
Kristine Levan earned her Ph.D. in Criminology from the University of Texas at Dallas in 2007. She has published in outlets such as Justice Quarterly, Games and Culture, Contemporary Justice Review, Journal of Qualitative Criminal Justice and Criminology, and the International Journal of Qualitative Methods. She co-edited the textbook Crime Prevention with David Mackey (published by Jones and Bartlett) in 2012 and wrote Prison Violence: Causes, Consequences and Solutions (Ashgate Publishing) in 2013.
Her research and teaching interests focus on violent crime, prison culture, capital punishment, and public perceptions of crime and criminals. Her recent research explores criminological and criminal justice themes, such as punishment and justice, and the expression of these themes in various media outlets.
- Criminal Justice Policy
- Institutional Corrections
- Media and Crime
- Violent Crime
- Levan, K. & Downing, S. (2016) Virtual total control: Escaping a simulated prison. Games and Culture. Published online ahead of print.
- Downing, S., & Levan, K. (2016). Pains of imprisonment in a “lock em’ up” video game: Implications for a peacemaking discourse through new media experiences. Contemporary Justice Review 19(1).
- Lavin-Loucks, D., & Levan, K. (2015) “Were you drunk at the time?”: The influence of parole boards on accounts and neutralization techniques in state parole hearings. Journal of Qualitative Criminal Justice and Criminology, 3(1).
- Levan, K. (2014). Prison Violence in Encyclopedia of Social Work (Edited by Cynthia Franklin). Oxford University Press.
- Downing, S., Polzer, K. & Levan, K. (2013) Space, Time and Reflexive Interviewing: Implications for Qualitative Criminology. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 12.
- Levan, K. (2013). Prison Violence: Causes, Consequences and Solutions. Ashgate Publishing.
- Levan, K. (2013). Consensual Sex in Male and Female Prisons in Sex in Prison: Myths & Realities (Eds. C.D. Marcum & T. Castle). Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers.
- Mackey, D. & Levan, K. (Eds.) (2012). Crime Prevention. Jones and Bartlett.
- Levan, K. (2012). “Sex Offenders and Sex Offenses.” In Crime Prevention (Eds. D. Mackey & K. Levan). Jones and Bartlett.
- Levan, K. (2012) “Guns and Crime: Crime Prevention versus Crime Facilitation.” In Crime Prevention (Eds. D. Mackey & K. Levan). Jones and Bartlett.
- Levan, K. (2012). “Adult Offender Recidivism Reduction Programs.” In Crime Prevention (Eds. D. Mackey & K. Levan). Jones and Bartlett.
- Levan, K. (2012). “Use of Violence.” In Encyclopedia of Transnational Crime and Justice. (Eds. M. Beare & G. Golson) Sage Publications.
- Levan, K. (2011). "Gangs and Violence." Key Issues in Crime and Punishment: Corrections (Ed. W. Chambliss). Sage Publications.
- Levan-Miller, K. (2010). Teaching Tips: Engaging Students in Criminological Theory. The Criminologist, 35(6).
- Levan-Miller, K. (2010). The Darkest Figure of Crime: Perceptions of Reasons for Male Inmates to not Report Sexual Assault. Justice Quarterly, 27(5).