The Writing Center offers two forms of distance tutoring:
Online Tutoring is much like the face-to-face tutoring sessions on campus. Tutors and writers use audio-visual, instant messaging, and document sharing tools to discuss a writing project. When making and accessing an online tutoring appointment, it is important to know the following:
- Schedule online appointments only with tutors who have “Online” beneath their names.
- Upload the assignment sheets or prompts to the appointment form.
- When accessing the appointment, log in to the calendar, click the scheduled appointment slot, and then click “Start or Join Online Consultation.”
- If possible, begin the log in process a few minutes before the scheduled appointment time. If you think you will be a few minutes late, please let your tutor know in the appointment form or call us at 208-885-6644.
If it is your first time using the online calendar, from the login page, you will need to click the blue “Register for an account” link.
e-Tutoring lets writers submit drafts for tutors to read and provide written feedback. Writers do not need to be present during e-Tutoring sessions. Instead, the appointment designates the time the tutor will spend reading and responding to a draft; the tutor emails their feedback at the end of the appointment session. This is a useful option when writers have a draft but cannot be present for a face-to-face or online tutoring session. When making e-Tutoring appointments, it is important to know the following:
- Schedule e-Tutoring appointments only with tutors who have “eTutoring” beneath their names.
- Submit no more than 8 double-spaced pages (or 2,000 words) per appointment.
- Schedule the appointment for 60 minutes.
- Upload your draft to the appointment before the appointment begins. For help uploading your work, email email@example.com or call 208-885-6644.
To schedule an appointment, click the Make an Appointment button, below. If it is your first time using the online calendar, from the login page, you will need to click the blue “Register for an account” link.