Department of Forest, Rangeland and Fire Sciences
Stephen is a Ph.D. student, working with Dr. Alistair Smith, under the Place Based Graduate Studies program. He also works as the Forest Prescribed Fire/Fuels Management Specialist for the US Forest Service, Cleveland NF in San Diego, CA.
- M.S., Southern Illinois University - Carbondale, 2003
- B.S., Southern Illinois University - Carbondale, 2001
- Rathfon, R., S. Fillmore, and J. Groninger. 2004. Status of reforested mine sites in southwestern Indiana reclaimed under the Indiana mining regulatory program. Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service, West Lafayette, IN, FNR-251, 15 p.
- Prescribed Fire and Oak Ecosystem Maintenance: A Primer for Land Managers. Edited by John W. Groninger, Leslie A. Horner, John L. Nelson, and Charles M. Ruffner. February, 2005. Department of Forestry. Southern Illinois University Carbondale Research Publication No. NS-015. [Chapter 4 author].
- Groninger, J. W., S. D. Fillmore and R. A. Rathfon. 2006. Stand characteristics and productivity potential of Indiana surface mines reclaimed under SMCRA. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 23:94-99
- Fillmore, Stephen. 2016. The unbidden wildfire. Wildfire. March/April. Vol 25.2:34-37.
- Fillmore, Stephen, Editor in Chief. 2017. Fire on the land: a retrospective anthology of papers from the archives of the Society of American Foresters. Published by The Society of American Foresters.
Awards & Honors:
- Xi Sigma Pi Forestry Honor Society
- 2014 "Done Studebaker" Regional Instructor of the Year: Region 5, US Forest Service
- Decision making on wildfire and prescribed fire incidents
- Implementation of alternative fire response strategies
- Risk-based decision making
- Integration of fire ecology with fire management
- Educating and mentoring the current and future workforce