Mary E. Ridout
Mary E. Ridout, Ph.D.
B12 Phinney Hall
Department of Forest, Rangeland and Fire Sciences
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1136
Moscow ID 83844-1136
- PhD: Natural Resources, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID 2014.
- MS: Plant Science/Horticulture, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID 2009.
- BS: Plant Science, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID 2007.
- AAS: Biology, Wenatchee Valley College—North, Omak, WA 2004.
- Plant-fungal symbioses
- Microbial interactions
- Xerophilic fungi
- Plant-associated protists
- Seed microbiomes
- Ridout, M.E. and G. Newcombe. 2017. Pine needle endophyte Hormonema dematioides: a pre-emergent seed pathogen from the ponderosa pine forest. In review.
- Ridout, M.E., B. Godfrey, and G. Newcombe. 2016. First Report of Fusarium temperatum in Diseased Sweet Corn Ears in the Western United States. Plant Disease, http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-04-16-0518-PDN .
- Ridout, M.E. and G. Newcombe. 2016. Winter wheat benefits from novel symbioses with forest fungi. Fungal Ecology 20: 40-48.
- Busby, P.E., M.E. Ridout, and G. Newcombe. 2016. Fungal endophytes: Modifiers of plant disease. Plant Molecular Biology. 90(6): 645-655. DOI 10.1007/s11103-015-0412-0.
- Ridout, M.E. and G. Newcombe. 2014. The frequency of modification of Dothistroma pine needle blight severity by fungi within the native range. Forest Ecology and Management 337: 153-160.
- Ridout, M.E. and R.R. Tripepi. 2010. Initial chemical and physical properties of potting mixes amended with anaerobically digested cattle biosolids. Acta Horticulturae. (ISHS) 891:167-172.
- Ridout, M.E. and R.R. Tripepi. 2009. Improving seed germination of native perennial Phlox longifolia. Native Plants Journal 10(2): 80-89.
- 2016-2017 Beneficial endophytes for winter wheat, research funding award, Idaho Wheat Commission.
- 2016 Molecular analyses of Fusarium spp. reductions in sweet corn seed by Fusarium-antagonistic fungi, research funding award, HM-Clause Inc.
- 2015-2016 Beneficial endophytes for winter wheat, research funding award, Idaho Wheat Commission.
- 2015-2016 Improved resistance to disease in sweet corn via symbioses, research funding award, HM-Clause Inc.
- 2014-2015 Improved resistance to disease in sweet corn via symbioses, research funding award, HM-Clause Inc.
Research & Outreach
- Colpoda ciliate protists associated with above-ground tissues of Populus trichocarpa Multitrophic interactions of fungi and endophytic and plant-feeding nematodes of Populus spp.
- Eriophyid mite Schizoempodium mesophyllincola of Populus trichocarpa and their interactions with Melampsora x columbiana
- The vertical transmission of endophytic microbes in seed and consequences for the microbiome and plant regeneration
- Xerophilic endophytes and their ecology in roots of trees and shrubs across intermountain elevations and vegetation types in the Pacific Northwest
- Forest microbes for resistance to systemic Fusarium spp. and effects on mycotoxins in Zea mays
- Forest microbes and xerophilic fungi for pathogen suppression and abiotic stress resistance in dryland wheat production