Newly Admitted Students
Welcome New Graduate Students!
Graduate Student Welcome will introduce you to life at the University of Idaho and ensure that you are ready for your first semester of graduate study.
- Meet your fellow new graduate students
- Learn the best practices for finding funding
- Receive Vandal Swag!
All new International graduate students are required to attend.
Before the Semester Begins
Step 1: Set Up your Vandal Account
Making sure your Vandal Accounts are ready is the most important step. Log into vandalsetup.uidaho.edu or visit the ITS Help Desk in the Idaho Commons. You can change your password, see your printing quota, and create extra account security measures.
Step 2: Review your Class Schedule & Register for Classes
Check over your class schedule and look for any errors or classes that you shouldn’t be registered for. From time to time there is an error, and catching it early could save you time, energy, and money in the future. If you do see that you didn’t register for a class that is needed, head over to VandalWeb and register or remove courses.
Step 3: Head over to the Bruce Pitman Center (BPC) and the VandalStore
At these two buildings you’ll be able to purchase your school books and materials, as well as pay your student fees, and visit the Financial Aid Office. The VandalStore is full of great items to show off your Vandal Spirit! And while you’re there, hop over to Starbucks and enjoy a mocha or latte.
Step 4: Review the “How to Guides”
Review the “How to Guides” available on the College of Graduate Studies website. These guides will help you get starting with your graduate program and walk you through the steps of appointing a Major Professor and creating a Study Plan.
Step 5: Learn the Vandal Fight Song!
Knowing the Vandal Fight Song is one of the most important aspects of being an Idaho Vandal. It is sung almost at every event affiliated with the University of Idaho. Let us hear your Vandal Spirit!
Setting up your Vandal accounts as soon as possible ensures that you will receive crucial information on important updates about financial aid, billing, housing, registration, deadlines and more.
Check your VandalWeb and VandalMail accounts frequently to make sure you don't miss important information.
VandalWeb allows you access to your transcripts, student account, add/drop class forms, registration and many other important items that are vital to your success at the University of Idaho.
VandalMail is the official email used by your professors, academic advisor and the different university departments to communicate important dates and information with you.
Duo Multifactor Authentication (MFA) provides extra protection for your account. You will be directed to enroll in Duo MFA when you set up your account.
Quick Action Links:
Its tough being in a new place. Get connected with student groups, university organizations and events going on in Moscow and at the university thru social media.
Share your experiences and learn about #UIdaho through pictures on Instagram.
Stay up to date on the experiences you've had at #UIdaho through Facebook.
Get the latest information about #UIdaho on Twitter.
Experience the action at the University of Idaho, follow the UIdaho YouTube channel.
Interested in following a certain group on campus? Find their Facebook or other social media options on the University of Idaho Social Media Directory.
Be aware of these important financial dates and deadlines:
- Summer – Review your financial aid options on VandalWeb. If you are borrowing student loans, complete the master promissory note and entrance counseling online. Explore payment options and finalize your plan on how you will pay for college before school starts in August. Contact Student Financial Aid Services with any questions about your financial aid options. Contact your department for inquiries on available assistantship positions.
- Aug. 21 – Be sure to authorize direct deposit on VandalWeb by this date so that the earliest disbursement of loan or assistantship residual funds can be deposited into your checking or savings account.
- Aug. 26 – (first day of classes) – Pay your bill. All semester tuition, fees, and health insurance must be paid at the Student Accounts Office, on VandalWeb or through the mail on this day to avoid late fees. Health insurance charges must be waived on VandalWeb by submitting the health insurance waiver. If you are unable to pay your balance in full, you are encouraged to set up a monthly payment plan through VandalWeb. If you are paying your bill with a loan or assistantship, residual funds will be deposited into your bank on or near this estimated date. Watch your VandalMail for a notice from Student Accounts to let you know the funds have been sent for direct deposit.
Once you are registered for classes, you can get your VandalCard. Your VandalCard serves as your student ID, meal card, Student Rec Center and athletic event pass, library card, residence hall building key, and more. The VandalCard Office is located on the first floor of the Bruce Pitman Center and is open from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. during the academic year. If you are close to campus or just visiting, get your card early to avoid lines at the beginning of the semester.
Quick Action Links
U of I requires all full-time students to have active and continuous health insurance. If you have your own health insurance, great! That means you can request a waiver of this requirement. If not, Student Health Services can help you get covered with SHIP to protect you if you become ill or injured.