How to Apply
- Junior standing
- Admitted U of I student
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Eligible majors: Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Civil Engineering majors – other engineering majors on a case-by-case basis
- Attend a Co-op Info Session – sessions held during the first two-three weeks of each semester. Log-in to Handshake to see dates/times available under “Events.” These sessions will inform you of the co-op procedure, answer questions, and offer any updates to processes.
- Create or revise your resume – to start, see our helpful page on Resumes and Cover Letters which has several downloadable handouts (including the Vandal Resume Guide) and resume samples. Then, take advantage of our drop-in hours to get a 15-minute review of your resume or schedule a 30-60 minute appointment with a professional Career Advisor to go over your resume before applying.
- Drop-In Hours (Check in at the Vandal Success Center - third floor of the Idaho Student Union Building): Monday-Friday 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Engineering Drop-in Hours (JEB 125): Thursdays 1:30-3:30 p.m.
- To schedule an appointment: Log-in to VandalStar.
*Remote appointments available via phone or web
Apply to the Co-op Program:
Each applicant to the U of I Co-op Program must be approved/vetted by the co-op staff. Before being approved to apply to co-op positions, you must first apply to be accepted into the program. Your application will include an updated resume and a Statement of Intent. You will submit an application to the program during the term prior to which you intend to go out on a co-op. Follow the link below for the co-op term which you plan to participate to submit your application via Handshake (use your U of I username and password to log-in):
- Summer 2020 Co-op (June-Dec) – Apply via Handshake *Open to Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Civil Engineering majors – other engineering majors on a case-by-case basis
Engage in impactful work directly related to your field of study
Earn up to $20,000+ for each 6 month co-op work experience
Explore potential careers at leading companies
Build your professional network through personalized mentorship
Gain a competitive edge when transitioning to the workforce after graduation