The Career Services will store letters of recommendation for students and alumni who are applying for
- Employment in K-12 and post-secondary education
- Admission to graduate/professional schools
By creating a file, letters of recommendation can be sent to numerous institutions and school districts. Tip: School districts recommend that a letter of recommendation be no more than three years old.
Graduates who create your file within one year of graduation or program completion may do so at no charge. Alumni who don't meet this requirement will be charged a $25 fee.
Files left inactive for 10 years will be destroyed. There is a $25 fee to create a new one.
- Complete a Placement File Data Form. Keep this document current.
- Complete a Confidential File Access Agreement OR Non-Confidential File Access Agreement
Send forms and letters of recommendation to the Career Center. We prefer letters of recommendation be sent by mail. Faxing letters is allowed, but results in poor copy quality.
University of Idaho Career Services
875 Perimeter Dr., MS 2534,
Moscow, ID 83844-2534
Students and alumni receive 5 free file send/processing requests to use as needed.
Additional send/processing requests are $5 for each recipient.
- Complete a File Processing Request.
- Hand deliver, fax, email or mail your signed form to the Career Center. 3. Placement file requests are processed within 3 business days.
4. For an additional $5, the Career Center offers an "immediate service" option which guarantees your file will be sent out within one business day.
5. For your convenience, you may establish a pre-paid, nonrefundable file processing account to cover the cost of future file processing requests.
6. Placement files can be sent to potential employers or graduate schools by USPS, fax, FedEx, or email. We are unable to upload your letters to any online application site.
Students and alumni may select to store files as confidential or non-confidential.
- Confidential files contain letters of recommendation that the file owner will not be allowed to view. Copies of confidential files can only be released to entities to which the file owner is applying. Keep this in mind during your search.
- Non-confidential files hold letters of recommendation that the file owner may view.
File owners may elect to change file confidentiality status. The Career Center strongly discourages changing the status of a file from confidential to non-confidential. Call us for more information at 208-885-6121.
Letters must provide the following information:
- Writer’s name and signature
- Name of person for whom the letter is being written
- Writer’s title
- Writer's employer and employer address
Please attach the file owners phone number and email address where the person can be contacted year-round.
Fees can be paid in cash (exact amount only), checks made payable to the Career Center, VISA, MasterCard or Discover Card.
U of I policy does not allow credit card payments to be sent in via email, online or through unsecured networks. To pay via credit card, call the Career Center at 208-885-6121.
Creating a file within one year of graduation | Free
Creating a file after one year of graduation or program completion | $25
Creating a new placement file after 10 years of inactivity | $25
First 5 file processing requests | Free
First class mail, fax or email (within 3 business days) | $5 per address/method of processing
Immediate service (processed within 1 business day) | Additional $5 per address/method of processing
FedEx | $5 plus FedEx fees, charged to credit card
Changing confidential file to non-confidential status | $25
Closing a file | Free
- Data Form tells us who you are and how to contact you.
- Confidential Access Agreement indicates that you agree we will not share the content of reference letters with you.
- Medical School Confidential Access Agreement is only for use by medical school applicants.
- Non-Confidential Access Agreement indicates that we may share reference letters with you.
- File Processing Request is for your convenience when you ask us to send your letters. You may include the same information on a plain sheet of paper. If you do not specify particular letters, they will all be sent.
- Confidential Recommendation is for the convenience of your letter writer, but not required. It is only used for “confidential” files.
- Non-Confidential Recommendation is for the convenience of your letter writer, but not required. It is only used for “non-confidential” files.