Due to COVID-19 we are operating with reduced capacity and all testing candidates must wear masks (we do not provide masks) and practice social distancing to the extent possible. If you are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 (coughing, sneezing, fever, etc.) or do not have/are not willing to wear a mask, you will be asked to leave and will not be allowed to test.
In addition, we ask that you cancel/reschedule your appointment and not come to the Testing Center if any of the following are true:
- You feel ill and/or have a fever
- You have been exposed to someone with possible COVID-19 in the previous 3 weeks
- You have travelled internationally in the previous 3 weeks
Please note: If you are turned away for any of the reasons listed above you will be considered a "no show" for your appointment and may or may not be eligible for a refund of any fees.
*For Placement testing (ALEKS, CLEP, AvantPlace), test Proctoring, MAT, STAMP or Excel Certification. For other exams please call 208-885-5138.
About the Testing Center
The mission of the Testing Center (TC) is to provide a secure, controlled, comfortable and accessible environment for test delivery in accordance with the needs of the University of Idaho students, faculty and staff and the surrounding community and region. The Testing Center supports a culture of academic integrity and customer service and strives for professionalism through adherence to the National College Testing Association’s (NCTA) Professional Standards & Guidelines.
The TC is a member of the Consortium of College Testing Centers and is certified by the National College Testing Association as demonstrating exemplary practices in accordance with NCTA's Professional Standards and Guidelines for Post-Secondary Test Centers.
The Testing Center offers a variety of testing services to a wide range of constituencies, including non-U of I students.
Services We Offer
For students, faculty and members of the community who need to take an exam in a supervised setting, the Testing Center offers space, equipment and supervisory personnel for administering exams. Services include:
- 13 partitioned testing stations
- Noise-canceling headphones
- Adjustable chairs and monitors
- Constant video surveillance
- Quick return of completed exams
Schedule an Appointment
Proctoring services are available 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday by appointment only. The proctoring fee for students is $15 per hour.
The Testing Center offers limited online or remote proctoring services for some exams or programs. There are additional fees for tests proctored remotely. There is a $5.00 non-refundable scheduling fee required to set up the remote appointment plus an additional $5.00 per hour of proctoring time. Tests that we can currently deliver remotely include online classroom exams, ALEKS math placement, AvantPlace language placement exams, STAMP language certification exams, and Microsoft Excel Certification exams.
To schedule a remote session or for more information about this service, call 208-885-5138.
- The ACT is a college admissions exam offered on select Saturdays. Learn more about/Register & Schedule for the ACT »
- Residual ACT - To schedule an appointment, call 208-885-5138. The Residual ACT is similar to the ACT but is only valid for and can only be reported to the University of Idaho. It allows for more flexibility in administration and is offered by appointment only, Monday through Friday. Unofficial results are available immediately. To schedule an appointment, call 208-885-5138. Once you have established a date and time that works for you and the Testing Center, it will be entered into our online scheduling system. You will then need to go to our scheduling site Registerblast, officially register and pay the $90 testing fee. On the day of your Residual ACT, you will need to bring a current, government-issued photo ID.
- The SAT is a college admissions exam offered on select Saturdays Learn more about/Register & Schedule for the SAT »
- The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is a widely accepted measure of English language proficiency for college admission. TOEFL is offered on pre-selected days throughout the year, typically a Friday morning. Learn more about/Register & Schedule for the TOEFL »
ALEKS Placement, Preparation and Learning (ALEKS PPL) Assessment $20 to create an account for U of I students; $15 for proctoring at the Testing Center.
ALEKS PPL is a web-based program that uses artificial intelligence to map a student’s strengths and weaknesses and then offer individualized prep and learning modules to refresh their knowledge on forgotten topics. It consists of three parts:
- An initial placement assessment designed to determine what a student knows and what a student needs to work on
- The prep and learning module, an individualized, self-paced online review based on the results of the initial placement assessment
- Access to 1-4 additional placement assessments that can be used as practice tests (unproctored) or for actual placement (proctored) in the appropriate math course.
NOTE: For an assessment to be used to determine placement, it must be proctored in an approved testing center.
To use ALEKS please follow the following steps:
- You will need to create an account and purchase access to ALEKS PPL. Credit card information is required to pay the $20 account fee for U of I students, which provides access to ALEKS PPL for twelve months.Create a new account or sign into an existing ALEKS PPL account with your U of I username and password
- Once you have created and paid for your ALEKS account, you can schedule with the Testing Center to take the Proctored Assessment, which will be used to determine your math placement. The CTC proctor fee is $15. Schedule an appointment.
- If you are interested in taking Aleks remotely, please call 208-885-6716. Please note that there is a $5.00 non-refundable scheduling fee required to set up the remote appointment plus an additional $5.00 per hour of proctoring time.
NOTE: We do not schedule appointments (except remotely proctored) for ALEKS through phone or email.
After completing the Proctored Assessment, use your results to determine which class you are able to register for.
CLEP (College Level Examination Program) is the most widely accepted credit-by-examination program in the United States today, helping students of all ages earn college degrees faster by getting credit for what they already know.
You can earn from three to eight college credits toward your college degree by earning a satisfactory score for each CLEP you take, depending on the exam subject. Results are available immediately.
To schedule an appointment:
- Register through CLEP and pay their fee (currently $89).
- Once you receive confirmation and have a Ticket ID number, schedule an appointment with the CTC.
Testing Center Proctor fee is $25 for U of I students;$35 for non-U of I students
NOTE: We do not schedule appointments for CLEP through phone or email.
AvantPlace is a computer delivered placement exam used by U of I Modern Languages and Cultures. Exams are available in Spanish, French, German, Chinese and Japanese languages. While there is no time limit, you are given two hours with your $25 fee, any time past two hours will be at the proctoring rate of $7.50/half hour. Most complete the exam in less than an hour, and results are available with several days.
For information regarding this requirement or for cut scores needed for placement, contact the Modern Languages and Cultures department at 208-885-6179 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule an appointment with the Testing Center. Total fee is $25.
If you are interested in taking AvantPlace remotely, please call 208-885-6716. Please note that there is a $5.00 non-refundable scheduling fee required to set up the remote appointment plus an additional $5.00 per hour of proctoring time.
Note: We do not schedule appointments (except remotely proctored) for AvantPlace through phone or email.
- GRE (Graduate Records Examination) is a graduate entrance exam offered selected weekday mornings and select Fridays during the academic year. Learn more about/Register & Schedule for the GRE »
- GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test) is similar to the GRE but specific to Business. It is offered offered selected weekday mornings during the Academic year.Learn more about/Register & Schedule for the GMAT »
- MAT (Miller Analogies Test) The Miller Analogies Test is sometimes used as an alternative to the Graduate Records Exam (GRE) for graduate school admissions. It is a measure of analytical reasoning, mostly verbal with some quantitative. It involves completing 120 analogies (100 scored) within a 60-minute time frame.
Official score reports will be mailed in approximately 10-15 working days to you and the institutions you specify before taking the test. Preliminary score reports are available immediately following the test.
Learn more about/ Register & Schedule the MAT To schedule a MAT exam Testing fee is $90
- LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) is offered on select days throughout the school year. Learn more about/Register & Schedule for LSAT »
- PCAT (Pharmacy College Admissions Test) is offered only on select days during the academic school year. Learn more about/Register & Schedule for PCAT »
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is a widely accepted measure of English language proficiency for college admission. TOEFL is offered on pre‑selected days throughout the year, typically a Friday morning. Learn more about/Register & Schedule for the TOEFL »
Microsoft Excel Certification
Schedule an appointment with the CTC. Total fee is $75.
If you are interested in taking the Microsoft Excel Certification remotely, please call 208-885-6716. Please note that there is a $5.00 non-refundable scheduling fee required to set up the remote appointment plus an additional $5.00 per hour of proctoring time.
Note: We do not schedule appointments (except remotely proctored) for Microsoft Excel Certification through phone or email.
STAMP-Language Proficiency Certification
One of the requirements for a degree in several of the Modern Languages offered at the U of I is the Avant STAMP (STAndards-based Measurement of Proficiency) exam, which also serves as a certification in language proficiency. The exam includes assessment of reading, writing, listening and speaking in a variety of languages and results can be used to qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy.
Schedule your STAMP-Language Proficiency exam. Total fee is $65.
If you are interested in taking STAMP remotely (additional $20 fee), please call 208-885-6716. Please note that there is a $5.00 non-refundable scheduling fee required to set up the remote appointment plus an additional $5.00 per hour of proctoring time.
Note: We do not schedule appointments (except remotely proctored) for STAMP through phone or email.
ASE (Automotive Service Excellence)
ASE certification exams are offered select weekday mornings during the academic year.
NCEES (National Council of Engineers for Engineering and Surveying)
GED (General Education Development)
The GED exam is offered to those who do not have but wish to obtain a certificate equivalent to a high school diploma, a common requirement among colleges and employers.
The test includes four subjects: science, social studies, mathematical reasoning and reasoning through language arts. It is possible to take one subject test at a time.
If you are under 18, you will need to begin the registration process then fill out a Youth Waiver Form and submit it in-person to our testing center or via email to email@example.com.
Allow one to two days for processing and to unlock your account so you can continue with the registration process.
TSA (Transportations Security Administration)
TSA tests are offered on select on Wednesdays. Registration for this exam takes place during the TSA application process.
Delivered through Scantron, both of these personal trainer certification exams are offered on Wednesdays.