International students enrolled in 1 or more credits are automatically enrolled in the University of Idaho Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP). International Students with an insurance policy provided by their sponsoring government as part of their educational program can submit their policy information for verification. If this policy meets U of I's minimum insurance requirements, the student will not be enrolled in SHIP.
Government provided health insurance must meet the minimum requirements or substantial compliance standards below to qualify. Policy must also include medical evacuation and repatriation coverage.
Dependents of International Students
Dependents are not eligible to purchase SHIP. However, all dependents of international students are required to have medical insurance meeting specific insurance requirements and must provide proof of insurance to the International Programs Office. Please contact the International Programs Office (IPO) at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on dependent requirements and possible health insurance companies and policies.
Government Sponsored Insurance Policies
- Effective on or before the first day of the semester student is enrolling in.
- Active and continuous for the entire semester with no break in coverage.
- Include coverage for illness and injury (accident only plans do not qualify).
- Include coverage for emergency and non-emergency services in the Moscow/Pullman area; OR area of program.
- Include coverage for mental health and prescription services.
- Cover injury while participating in intramural, club, or NCAA intercollegiate sports programs (if participating).
- International students must be covered by a policy provided by their sponsoring government.
Substantial Compliance Standards
- Effective on the first day of the calendar month following the first day of the semester.
- Effective on or before the first day of the calendar month following an involuntary loss of previous coverage.
- Gaps in coverage of no more than seven (7) days.
- Access to COBRA coverage for gaps longer than seven (7) days.
- Approved appeal through the Student Insurance and Business Office.
Government sponsored international students cannot submit health insurance information online. They must submit a completed, signed hard copy of the printable Health Insurance Information Form AND a copy of both sides of their health insurance card to the Student Insurance and Business Office prior to the first day of the semester.
NOTE: Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to download, open and sign PDF forms (Download Adobe PDF Reader Here). Google Chrome is the preferred browser for PDF downloads. To sign PDFs using a digital signature in Adobe, please follow these steps.
Completed forms can be sent to email@example.com from your official Vandal email account, faxed to 208-885-1002 or dropped off in the Student Health Building Room 129. Please include your full name and Vandal number in your email or fax. View map »
The health insurance information provided by students is forwarded to an auditor each semester for verification of compliance with the University of Idaho Health Insurance Requirement. For more information on the verification process and what to do if your policy fails this process, visit our health insurance verification process page.
- Type or print clearly as information will be forwarded to an outside auditor for verification of compliance so accuracy is important.
- Confirm all information in the top section of the form. If the answer is no for any of the required benefit the policy does not qualify for a SHIP cancellation.
- Form must be signed by the student to be added to their insurance records.
- Customer service number for insurance company must be a U.S. based number that can be contacted to confirm student eligibility and benefits.
- Insurance policy numbers must be complete, including any letter prefix and/or suffix. Examples: ABC12456789, 778UH992; 54321YZ.
- Group number field must include something. If your policy does not have a group number you may use Not Applicable, XXX, 000 or insert your individual ID number again.
- Policy holder information is for the primary person on the policy. If you are a dependent child or spouse the name, date of birth, gender and employer will be for your parent or spouse.
- Policies such as Medicaid, Medicare, Tricare, Veteran benefits, tribal coverage and government approved religious based programs that do not have standard policy numbers may be submitted using the applicable identification numbers used for verification of enrollment in their systems.
- The University of Idaho verifies compliant coverage for all students every semester of attendance. If something changes in your policy, let firstname.lastname@example.org know ASAP.
- The student may be contacted for additional information, including a copy of both sides of their insurance card or a document of coverage from the insurer if verification cannot be completed with the information provided.
Questions or requests for additional information can be sent to email@example.com. Please include your full name and Vandal number in all communications.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns. All emails should include the student's full, legal name and Vandal number.
Insurance Requirement Appeals
Students may file an appeal for exemptions or exceptions to the University of Idaho's Student Health Insurance Requirement.