Health Insurance Requirement
International students enrolled in 1 or more credits must have a policy provided by their sponsoring government or enroll in the University of Idaho Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP).
Submitting Health Insurance Information
Government sponsored international students cannot submit health insurance information online. They must submit a completed, signed hard copy of the printable Health Insurance Information Form (available under FORMS in the menu on the left) AND a copy of both sides of their health insurance card to the Student Insurance and Business Office prior to the first day of the semester.
Verification of Health Insurance Information
Students who are discovered to be uninsured or have insurance that does not meet the minimum requirements will be enrolled in the U of I's Student Health Insurance Program, and a semester charge will be placed on the student's account.
Health insurance must meet the minimum requirements or substantial compliance standards below to qualify. Policy must also include medical evacuation and repatriation coverage.
- Effective on or before the first day of the semester student is enrolling in.
- Active and continuous for the entire semester with no break in coverage.
- Include coverage for illness and injury (accident only plans do not qualify).
- Include coverage for emergency and non-emergency services in the Moscow/Pullman area; OR area of program.
- Include coverage for mental health and prescription services.
- Cover injury while participating in intramural, club, or NCAA intercollegiate sports programs (if participating).
- International students must be covered by a policy provided by their sponsoring government.
Substantial Compliance Standards
- Effective on the first day of the calendar month following the first day of the semester.
- Effective on or before the first day of the calendar month following an involuntary loss of previous coverage.
- Gaps in coverage of no more than 7 days.
- Access to COBRA coverage for gaps longer than 7 days.
- Approved appeal through the Student Insurance and Business Office.