Student Health Insurance Program
The University of Idaho requires all full-time, fee-paying, degree-seeking undergraduate students enrolled in 12 or more credits; graduate/Law students enrolled in 9 or more credits; and all international students to submit proof of valid health insurance as a condition of enrollment.
Students subject to the requirement may choose to rely on personal health insurance or enroll in U of I's Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP).
MANUAL ELIGIBILITY FILE LOAD REQUEST
Claims incurred within the first four weeks of the semester, before eligibility is loaded with the claims administrator, can be paid out-of-pocket or a manual update can be requested.
To request a manual update of SHIP eligibility during the first four weeks of the semester, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating your intention to remain enrolled in SHIP for the semester of your request (fall or spring). Include your full name, student identification number and the name of the pharmacy or medical provider you are using. The information will be forwarded to the claims administrator for updating. An email notification will be sent to your Vandal email when processing is complete and you can fill your prescription or access medical services.
2020-2021 SHIP INFORMATION
UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR) administers the University of Idaho Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) benefits outside of the Vandal Health Clinic. 2020-2021 coverage details will be available at the link below.
- SHIP benefit information and links to locate in-network providers, including pharmacies, are available at uhcsr.com/uidaho
- SHIP enrolled students attending U of I at the Boise Center can email email@example.com for information regarding eligibility for benefits at Boise State University Health Services.
- StudentResources customer service (5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST) 800-767-0700.
- Electronic proof of insurance ID cards will be available through the website above once eligibility is loaded.
SHIP fees are charged per semester as a separate line item (Medical Insurance) on your student account and can be covered by financial aid.
For comparison purposes the average monthly cost of SHIP medical and prescription coverage, if enrolling for a full academic year, is approximately $159 per month.
- Fall 2020 Semester (includes winter break) Coverage | $951
- Spring 2021 Semester (includes summer break) Coverage | $951
- Summer 2021 (for new students only) Coverage | $483
- Qualified Late Enrollee Coverage (download late enrollee form for additional information) | $159 per month