Vandals Vote is a University of Idaho program that promotes student civic engagement. Through the Vandals Vote program, students are able to register to vote, learn about representatives who are running for office, vote in local and national elections, and stream signature political events at campus venues. Event programming includes Party to the Polls, candidate forums, and Voter Registration Day, and on-going voter registration.
To register to vote, click on the "Vandals Vote" icon on the right of the screen or visit the "Register to Vote" section of the drop down menu below.
Visit Can I Vote and select “voter registration status.” Then, choose your state. You’ll be taken to a page on your state’s website where you can check to see if you’re registered.
Remember to check your registration information before your state’s deadline to register to vote. That could be up to 30 days before the election. This gives you time if you need to re-register or make changes. Keep in mind that some states conduct occasional voter “purging” if you are not an active voter, so it’s important to make sure you are still registered to vote.
Idaho offers online, mail-in, and in-person voter registration. Students may register to vote any time throughout the year and are strongly encouraged to use Turbovote. TurboVote makes registering to vote easy by leading students through the registration process on their online platform. It will help you start the absentee/mail-in ballot request process, send you election reminders, and more. You may even use Turbovote if you are registering to vote and requesting an absentee ballot for elections outside of the state of ID. We recommend registering before the election deadline to avoid long wait lines. See the "Dates and Deadlines" section of the drop down menu to make sure you stay updated with important election dates.
You may also register by:
- Downloading an Idaho registration form and mailing it in to your county clerk’s office. Download here.
- Registering in person during early voting. (be sure to provide ID and proof of residence).
- Registering in person at your polling location on election day (be sure to provide ID and proof of residence).
What do you need to register to vote:
- In order to register to vote, registrants must provide proof of residence accompanied by a picture identification card.
- Valid Forms of Identification:
- An Idaho driver’s license or identification card.
- A U.S. passport or Federal photo identification card.
- All federal photo identification cards are acceptable including military ID’s from active duty and retired service personnel.
- A tribal photo identification card.
- A current student photo ID, issued by an Idaho high school or post secondary educational institution.
NOTE: An ID listed above is acceptable if the photo matches the person and the name on the ID matches the name listed in the poll book. Common abbreviations and nicknames are acceptable. However, a name change requires the voter to re-register.
- Valid Forms of Proof of Residence:
- A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, government document, or proof of residence form from the U of I Housing and Residence Life Office (if you live in an on-campus residence hall) that shows your name and address.
Any registered person in Idaho can request an absentee ballot, no special circumstances are necessary. To do so submit an absentee ballot request form.*
You will receive the absentee ballot and instructions on how to complete the ballot 45 days before the election depending on when the request is submitted.
Return in person to an election official or mail (postmarked) to Latah County Clerk office.
If you wish to have an absentee ballot mailed to you, the request must be received by the county clerk’s office by the 11th day prior to the election. You can still cast an absentee ballot in person at the absent elector’s polling place (usually the county clerk’s office) up until 5 p.m. the Friday before the election.
*If you are or are planning to register in your home county which is outside of the state of Idaho, you may use Turbovote to request your absentee ballot. Please be sure to check your home state's election deadlines to be sure that you submit your ballot on time.
- Election day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020.
- The deadline to register online is Friday, October 9, 2020.
- The deadline for registering to vote by mail is (postmarked by) Friday, October 9, 2020.
- The deadline to register to vote in person is Friday, October 9, 2020.
- The deadline to request a ballot by mail is (received by) Friday, October 23, 2020.
- The early voting period runs from Monday, October 19, 2020 to Friday, October 30, 2020, but dates and hours may vary based on where you live.
- In Idaho, you can also register and vote on Election Day.