Language, literature and the world.
Advanced literary studies challenge you to think and write critically about how words can reflect and shape the world.
Designed to prepare students to teach at a college or to pursue a doctorate, the program allows you to tailor your studies to best fit your career goals, whether they include teaching, writing, editing or other field. You will explore language; literature; composition; rhetoric; literary theory, history and criticism; and more.
Students in this program conduct independent scholarly research. The program offers a thesis option and a non-thesis option.
This program could be a good fit for you if you:
- Enjoy literature and the English language
- Want to qualify for a higher salary bracket as a primary or secondary school teacher
- Want to teach at the college level
- Want to pursue a Ph.D.
- Are self-motivated
- Have the ability to work independently
With this degree, you could become a/an:
- Teacher at a community or junior college
- A doctoral student
- Professional writer
- Business writer
- Environmental science or travel writer
- Public relations specialist
- Marketing and communications specialist
- Digital media specialist
Interdisciplinary Studies, M.A./M.S.
Psychology: Human Factors Emphasis, M.S.