Request More Information
Transformation through Fermentation
Wine, beer, cider, cheese, yogurt and pepperoni are among the many foods and beverages created by fermentation, and the demand for these products on grocery store shelves continues to grow.
This program explores the science and craft behind fermented foods and beverages. You’ll study microorganisms — such as yeast, bacteria and mold — and learn how the fermentation process is used to improve the safety and quality of food products; develop new food products; and design new, safer and more energy efficient food preservation methods.
The availability and diversity of fermented products has increased in recent years, which means a degree in this major will put you in high demand for careers in the food and beverage industry.
This program could be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy sciences like microbiology and chemistry
- Like to do ”hands-on” lab and classroom experiments
- Are interested in how beer, wine and fermented foods are made
- Work well as part of a team
With this degree, you could become a/an:
- Food scientist
- Food product developer
- Food safety microbiologist
- Beer brewer
- Industry sales representative
Crop Science, B.S.
Biotechnology and Plant Genomics, B.S.