Water Safety Instructor Classes
2020 Water Safety Instructor Course
Due to swim center closure until further notice course dates are to be determined.
Cost: $258 per person
- Registration fee: $220—Paid to University of Idaho
- Curriculum fee: $38—Paid to American Red Cross (payment link will be emailed to students)
If you are at least 16 years old and a proficient swimmer, you can become an American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor. This approximately 30-hour course will help you teach skills that may save a life, gain terrific work experience as an aquatics professional, earn money or join a volunteer team while you help people learn valuable skills. In addition, you will learn organizational and presentation skills that will help you in any career and make a difference in peoples lives. Whether you want to splash around with kids and teach them to swim, help children and adults refine their strokes or teach diving safety techniques, you can do it as an American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor.WSIs are Authorized to Teach
- Red Cross Learn-to-Swim levels 1 to 6
- Parent and Child Aquatics
- Water Safety Outreach
- Basic Water Rescue Course
- Water Safety Today Presentation
- General Water Safety Presentation
- Home Pool Safety Presentation
- Parent Orientation to Swimming Lesson Presentation
- Swim Coaches Safety
Water Safety Instructor Authorization is valid for 2 years.
- FIT (included in course)
- Must be 16 by the first day of class
- Must successfully pass the skills pretest—based on a proficiency level equal to Level 4 of the American Red Cross Learn to Swim Program:
- Swim 25 yards each of Front Crawl, Back Crawl, Breaststroke, Elementary Backstroke, Sidestroke and 15 yards of Butterfly
- Maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep water (float or sculling)
- Tread water for 1 minute
- Candidates must attend all sessions to pass this course
If you hold current certification in Basic Water Safety and/or Lifeguard Training you must still undergo pretesting.Bring to First Class
- Books—provided with the cost of the course
- Proof of age
- Swim Suit and Towel
Class Refund and Cancellation Policy
Private Lessons must be canceled with 24 hours notice. Private lesson cancellations will not qualify for a refund or reschedule date when canceled with less than 24 hours notice. Refunds are subject to a $5 administration charge for all refunded private lessons.
Group lessons and Lifeguard Re-certification classes are subject to a $25 refund administration charge if patron cancels or chooses not to participate within 48 hours of the start of the first day of lessons.
Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor classes are subject to a $50 refund administration charge if patron cancels or chooses not to participate within 48 hours of the start of the first day of class.
The University of Idaho Swim Center also reserves the right to cancel a class due to low enrollment or lack of instructor. Participants of the Swim Center canceled classes will be refunded the full amount of their payment.