What we do to manage mold
Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) works with Facilities to identify potential mold hazards in the workplace and ensure that staff, faculty, students and the general public are not exposed to airborne mold spores or nuisance odors. Small amounts of mold growth in the workplace and the home are not a major concern. However, no mold should be allowed grow and multiply in an indoor environment. Large quantities of mold growth have the potential to cause health problems for some individuals. Mold can also cause damage to building materials, furnishings and may even cause structural damage to wood.
How you can help
Be aware of your surroundings. Report water leaks to the University of Idaho Facilities Services as soon as they are detected. Keeping areas that are susceptible to excess moisture clean and dry is very important. Ventilation can be used to remove excess moisture. Water leaks should be repaired promptly and the impacted area should be dried and cleaned as soon as possible. Materials that stay wet for more than 48 hours are likely to foster mold growth.
For additional information on mold, see the reference links on this page.
- Mold Awareness
For more information
D. Ryan Buford