COVID-19 Research & Designs
The University of Idaho College of Engineering is collaborating with medical staff and colleges across the university to offer expertise and support in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our research is ongoing to boost supply of needed personal protective equipment (PPE) nationwide. The open-source designs for 3D printed face masks, face shields and ultraviolet C light sterilization systems available on this website are open to the public.
We do not supply PPE or related products, but you may use these resources to create your own!
U of I Researchers, Moscow to Build on COVID-19 Wastewater Testing and Analysis
Researchers at the University of Idaho have partnered with the City of Moscow to improve wastewater testing for the presence of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The team hopes to develop an early warning system for spikes in local cases.
Using a cross-correlation analysis of Google trends data and case reports at coronavirus.idaho.gov, Mechanical engineering Assistant Professor Vibhav Durgesh has developed data points that could link rising Google searches of the keyword “COVID-19” to recorded increases in cases, with about a two-week lag between. His hypothesis is people begin searching the internet for more COVID-19 information on cases and symptoms after they have visited a high-risk zone or region and started to observe symptoms commonly associated with the virus.
Using this as another resource in predicting surges in COVID-19 cases, the research could help healthcare providers better allocate critical resources.
Download Open-Source PPE Designs
Behind the Designs
Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy, currency and completeness of the CAD software design files and instructions, the University of Idaho does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current. The University of Idaho is not liable for any loss, claim, or demand arising directly or indirectly from any use or reliance upon the information.
In the Media
- UI team works on shining light to fight virus — Lewiston Tribune
- UI developing gear for health care workers — Moscow-Pullman Daily News
- Univ. of Idaho staff work to 3D print face masks, shields for healthcare workers — KREM 2
- U of I Rallies to Assist Communities in Fight Against COVID-19 — Lewis-Clark Valley DailyFly.com
- University of Idaho Helps Provide Masks (Coronavirus update: Blaine County cases rise, Gov. Little eases telehealth regulations) — Idaho Statesman
- Univ. of Idaho staff work to 3D print face masks, shields for healthcare workers — KTVB 7
Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your emails will receive a prompt response.