Nathan Schiele, Ph.D.
Nathan R. Schiele, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2012
- M.S., Biomedical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2010
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Dayton, 2007
- Tissue engineering
- Musculoskeletal tissues
- Tendon mechanics
- Stem cell differentiation
Nathan Schiele received his bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Dayton in 2007 and his doctorate in biomedical engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 2012. As a graduate student at Rensselaer, his research focused on cell printing and tendon tissue engineering. Prior to joining the University of Idaho, Schiele was an NIH IRACDA postdoctoral fellow at Tufts University in the Department of Biomedical Engineering, where he studied embryonic tendon development. His current research focuses on understanding how mechanical factors influence musculoskeletal tissue function. His research interests include tendon mechanobiology and tendon tissue engineering.
- Theodossiou SK, Murray JB, Schiele NR. Cell-cell junctions in developing and adult tendons. Tissue Barriers. 2019: 1695491.
- Theodossiou SK, Schiele NR. Models of tendon development and injury. BMC Biomedical Engineering. 2019, 1(1), 32.
- Theodossiou SK, Bozeman A, Burgett N, Brumley MR, Swann, HE, Raveling AR, Becker JJ, Schiele NR. Onset of neonatal locomotor behavior and the mechanical development of Achilles and tail tendons. Journal of Biomechanics. 2019, 96: 109354.
- Javidi M, McGowan CP, Schiele NR, Lin DC.Tendons from kangaroo rats are exceptionally strong and tough. Scientific Reports.2019 Jun 3;9(1):8196.
- Li J, Stoppato M, Schiele NR, Graybeal, KL, Nguyen PK, Kuo CK. Embryonic and postnatal tendon cells respond differently to interleukin-1β. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2019 Apr; 1442(1):118-127.
- Theodossiou SK, Tokle J, Schiele NR. TGFβ2-induced tenogenesis impacts cadherin and connexin cell-cell junction proteins in mesenchymal stem cells. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 2019, 508 (3): 889-893.
- Raveling AR, Theodossiou SK, Schiele NR. A 3D printed bioreactor for investigating mechanobiology and soft tissue mechanics. MethodsX, 2018, 5: 924-932.
- Smith EE, Zhang W, Schiele NR, Khademhosseini A, Kuo CK, Yelick PC. Developing a biomimetic tooth bud model. Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 2017, 10: 1-11.
- Marturano JE, Schiele NR, Schiller ZA, Galassi TV, Stoppato M, Kuo CK. Embryonically inspired scaffolds regulate tenogenically differentiating cells. Journal of Biomechanics, 2016, 49 (14): 3281-3288.
- Schiele NR, von Flotow F, Tochka ZL, Hockaday LA, Marturano JE, Thibodeau JJ, Kuo CK. Actin cytoskeleton contributes to the elastic modulus of embryonic tendon during early development. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 2015, 33 (6): 874-881.
- Glass ZA, Schiele NR, Kuo CK. Informing tendon tissue engineering with embryonic development. Journal of Biomechanics, 2014, 47 (9): 1964-1968.
- Schiele NR, Marturano JE, Kuo CK. Mechanical factors in embryonic tendon development: potential cues for stem cell tenogenesis. Current Opinions in Biotechnology, 2013, 24: 843-840.
- Schiller ZA, Schiele NR, Sims J, Lee K, Kuo CK. Adipogenesis of adipose-derived stem cells may be regulated via the cytoskeleton at physiological oxygen levels in vitro. Stem Cell Research & Therapy, 2013, 4:79.
- Schiele NR, Koppes RA, Chrisey DB, Corr DT. Engineering cellular fibers for musculoskeletal soft tissues using directed self-assembly. Tissue Engineering: Part A, 2013, 19 (9-10): 1223-32.
- Abdul Raof N, Schiele NR, Xie Y, Chrisey DB, and Corr DT. The maintenance of pluripotency following laser direct-write of mouse embryonic stem cells. Biomaterials, 2011, 32 (7): 1802-1808.
- Schiele NR, Chrisey DB, Corr DT. Gelatin-based laser direct-write technique for the precise spatial patterning of cells. Tissue Engineering: Part C-Methods, 2011, 17 (3): 289-298.
- Schiele NR, Corr DT, Huang Y, Abdul Raof N, Xie Y, Chrisey DB. Laser-based direct-write techniques for cell printing. Biofabrication, 2010, 2, 032001.
- Schiele NR, Koppes RA, Corr DT, Ellison KS, Thompson DM, Ligon LA, Lippert TKM, Chrisey DB. Laser direct writing of combinatorial libraries of idealized cellular constructs: biomedical applications. Applied Surface Science, 2009, 255 (10): 5444-5447.
- Alumni Award for Excellence – Inspirational Mentor, University of Idaho, Office of Alumni Relations, 2019
- University Excellence in Interdisciplinary and Collaborative Efforts Award, 2019
- Training in Education and Critical Research Skills (TEACRS) Postdoctoral Fellowship (2013 -2015) sponsored by the NIH/National Institute of General Medical Sciences through its Institutional Research and Career Development Award (IRACDA) program