Bryn Martin, Ph.D., P.E.
Bryn Martin, Ph.D., P.E.
Engineering Physics 408
Chemical & Biological Engineering
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive, MS 0904
Moscow, Idaho 83844-0904
- Post-doc, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL), Lausanne, Switzerland, 2009-12
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2008
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2005
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2002
Visit www.NIML.org to learn more about Bryn Martin’s research activities.
- Cerebrospinal fluid dynamics / neurohydrodynamics
- Intrathecal drug delivery, neuropheresis, cerebrospinal fluid hypothermia
- Amyotropic lateral sclerosis
- Ocular and intracranial biomechanics in astronauts
- Chiari malformation, hydrocephalus, pseudotumor cerebri
- MR imaging and post-processing, pcMRI, DENSE, 4D Flow, morphometrics
- Computational fluid dynamics in the CNS
- In vitro modeling / MR-compatible modeling
- Medical device and instrumentation R&D
Bryn Martin is an assistant professor of Biological Engineering and leads research within the Neurophysiological Imaging and Modeling Laboratory (www.NIML.org). Martin conducts clinical translational research that aims to improve human health and well-being for the millions of people affected by central nervous system (CNS) disorders. His research develops and applies advanced MR imaging and computational modeling techniques to investigate the pathophysiology of CNS disorders and therapeutics from a hydrodynamic and biomechanical perspective and develop related medical technologies. Prior to joining U of I, Martin served as director of the Conquer Chiari Research Center at the University of Akron (2012-15), completed post-doctoral training at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (2009-12) and earned a doctorate in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Illinois at Chicago (2008). Martin has been employed in a number of medical device companies and is an active medtech inventor and consultant. He serves on a number of international research committees in the field of cerebrospinal fluid dynamics and CNS diseases.
Bryn Martin's publications can be viewed on Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=lcaLpj4AAAAJ&hl=en.
Bryn Martin's research projects can be viewed on http://niml.org/wiki/index.php?title=Current_projects.
- Medical Advisory Panel Member for the Chiari Project Foundation, 2017 – present
- Elected Executive Board Member of the International Society for Hydrocephalus and CSF Disorders, 2015 – 2017
- Distinguished Alumni Award, College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, Ill., 2015
- Outstanding researcher award from Conquer Chiari Patient Education Foundation, 2013
- Co-leader of the International Hydrocephalus Imaging Working Group, 2011 – present
- Board of Director member of the International Cerebrospinal Fluid Dynamics Society, 2011 – present