Ph.D. Chemical Engineering
Solving the Chemical Puzzle
Pursue your doctorate and discover the versatility of chemical engineering, where you will work to produce renewable energy, manage hazardous waste and more. Learn research methods and investigative procedures for a career in industrial or research environments. Work with expert faculty and state-of-the-art facilities and laboratory equipment, including the atomic force microscope (AFM) system, scanning Raman spectroscopy and gas chromatographs.
Areas of expertise include chemical reaction engineering; simulation, optimization and process design especially for the pulp and paper and food applications; hazardous waste characterization and bioremediation; membrane, nano-science, fluid mechanics, biochemical engineering; and mass transfer research.
- Personalized Attention with faculty through small class sizes, 1-on-1 interaction, mentorship and advising. All faculty hold Ph.D.s in their field.
- Highest Early- and Mid-Career Salary of any 4-year public institution in Idaho. – PayScale 2019
- 98% Graduate With a Job or are enrolled in additional education - 2016-2018 Career Services Outcomes Survey
- Hands-On Experience, Guaranteed - ALL U of I College of Engineering students participate in hands-on experiences, through paid graduate assistantships and programs, including Idaho Space Grant Consortium Fellowships, mentor-directed, career-related programs that contributes to NASA’s mission of exploration and discovery.
- International Competition Teams - Chemical engineering student teams frequently place top three in international design competitions.