Haiyan Zhao, Ph.D.
Haiyan Zhao, Ph.D.
Center for Advanced Energy Studies 257
Center for Advanced Energy Studies
995 MK Simpson Boulevard
Idaho Falls, ID 83401
- Ph.D., Virginia Tech, 2009
- M.S., Tsinghua University, 2003
- B.S., Tianjin University, 2000
- In situ / operando study over heterogeneous catalysts
- Oxidative dehydrogenation reaction for shale gas
- hydrodeoxygenation/deoxygenation of biofuels
- Advanced characterization techniques
Haiyan Zhao is assistant professor of Chemical and Materials Engineering at the University of Idaho. She received her bachelor's degree in chemistry from Tianjin University in China, master's in chemical engineering from Tsinghua University in China and doctorate in chemical engineering from Virginia Tech. From 2010 to 2014, she was working at Advanced Photon Source in the Argonne National Laboratory using Synchrotron X-ray probes for catalytic materials characterization as postdoctoral research associate then assistant chemist. She joined the University of Idaho in August 2014.
Her research focuses on in situ/operando study over catalytic systems in the field of shale gas, biofuels, petroleum and other energy and environment related areas. She is a member of American Chemical Society, Material Research Society and North American Catalysis Society.
- Haiyan Zhao, S. Ted Oyama,Hans-Joachim Freund, Radosław Włodarczyk, Marek Sierka “Nature of Active Sites in Ni2P Hydrotreating Catalysts as Probed by Iron” Applied Catalysis B, 2015, 164 (0), 204-216.
- Yu Lei, Haiyan Zhao, Rosa Diaz Rivas, Sungsik Lee, Junling Lu, Eric Stach, Randall E. Winans, Jeffrey T. Miller, Karena W. Chapman, Peter J. Chupas, and Jeffrey W. Elam “The Change of Lattice Parameters in 1-3 nm Platinum Nanoparticles” Journal of American Chemistry Society, 2014, 136 (26), 9320-9326.
- J. R. Gallagher, T. Li, H. Zhao, J. J. Liu, Y. Lei, X. Zhang, Y. Ren, J. W. Elam, R. J. Meyer, R. E. Winans, and J. T. Miller. “In-situ Diffraction of Highly Dispersed Supported Platinum Nanoparticles” Catalysis Science and Technology, 2014, 4, 3053-3063
- Kevin A. Beyer, Haiyan Zhao, Olaf Borkiewicz, Mark A. Newton, Karena W. Chapman, and Peter J. Chupas “Simultaneous diffuse reflection infrared spectroscopy and X-ray pair distribution function measurements” Journal of Applied Crystallography, 2014, 47, 1118-1131.
- Hanson, J. C.; Si, R.; Xu, W.; Senanayake, S. D.; Mudiyanselage, K.; Stacchiola, D.; Rodriguez, J. A.; Zhao, H.; Beyer, K. A.; Jennings, G.; Chapman, K. W.; Chupas, P. J.; Martínez-Arias, A., “Pulsed-reactant in situ studies of ceria/CuO catalysts using simultaneous XRD, PDF and DRIFTS measurements” Catalysis Today, 2014, (229), 64-71.
- Chapman, K. W.; Beyer, K. A.; Zhao, H.; Chupas, P. J., “Correlating structure and chemistry through simultaneous in situ pair distribution function and infrared spectroscopy measurements” CrystEngComm 2013, 15 (45), 9377-9381.
- Sava, Dorina; Chapman, Karena; Rodriguez, Mark; Greathouse, Jeffery; Crozier, Paul; Zhao, Haiyan; Chupas, Peter; Nenoff, Tina. "Competitive I2 Sorption by Cu-BTC from Humid Gas Streams" Chemistry of Materials, 2013, 25 (13), 2591-2596.
- Yu Lei, Junling Lu, Haiyan Zhao, Bin Liu, Ke-Bin Low, Tianpin Wu, Joseph A. Libera, Jeffrey P. Greeley, Peter J. Chupas, Jeffrey T. Miller and Jeffrey W. Elam, “Resolving Precursor Deligation, Surface Species Evolution, and Nanoparticle Nucleation during Palladium Atomic Layer Deposition” Journal of Physical Chemistry, C, 117 (2013) 11141.
- Hui Wang, Jeffrey T. Miller, Mohsen Shakouri, Chunyu Xi, Tianpin Wu, Haiyan Zhao, M. Cem Akatay. "XANES and EXAFS studies on metal nanoparticle growth and bimetallic interaction of Ni-based catalysts for CO2 reforming of CH4" Catalysis Today, 207 (2013) 3-12.
- Phuong Bui; Juan Antonio Cecilia; S T Oyama, Atsushi Takagaki; Haiyan Zhao, Dan Li; Enrique Rodríguez. "Studies of the Synthesis of Transition Metal Phosphides and their Activity in the Hydrodeoxygenation of a Biofuel Model Compound" Journal of Catalysis, 294 (2012) 184–198.
- Haiyan Zhao, Karena W Chapman, Peter J. Chupas. "Fast Time-Resolved Pair Distribution Function Studies of Supported Gold Nanoparticle Formation" Zeitschrift für Kristallographie 227 (2012) 268-271.
- D. Li, P. Bui, H.Y. Zhao, S. T. Oyama, T. Dou, Z. H. Shen. " Rake mechanism for the deoxygenation of ethanol over a supported Ni2P/SiO2 catalyst" Journal of Catalysis. 290 (2012) 1-12.
- S. T. Oyama, H. Y. Zhao, H.J.-Freund, K.Asakura, R. Wlodarczyk, M. Sierka. "Unprecedented Selectivity to the Direct Desulfurization (DDS) Pathway in a Highly Active FeNi Bimetallic Phosphide Catalyst" Journal of Catalysis, 285 (1) (2012) 1-5.
- Zhao, H.; Nenoff, T. M.; Jennings, G.; Chupas, P. J.; Chapman, K. W.. "Determining Quantitative Kinetics and the Structural Mechanism for Particle Growth in Porous Templates" Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 2 (21) (2011) 2742-2746.
- Haiyan Zhao, D. Li, P. Bui and S. Ted Oyama. "Hydrodeoxygenation of guaiacol as model compound for pyrolysis oil on transition metal phosphides hydroprocessing catalysts" Applied Catalysis A: General, 391 (2011) 305-310.
- Haiyan Zhao, S. Ted Oyama, E.D. Naeemi. "Hydrogen Storage Using Heterocyclic Compounds: the hydrogenation of 2-Methylthiophene" Catalysis Today, 149 (2010) 172-184.
- S. Ted Oyama, Travis Gott, Haiyan Zhao and Yong-Kul Lee. "Transition Metal Phosphide Hydroprocessing catalysts: A Review" Catalysis Today, 143 (2009) 94-107.