Krishnan Raja, Ph.D., P.E.
Krishnan Raja, Ph.D., P.E.
- Ph.D., Metallurgical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai, 1993
- M.Tech., Industrial Metallurgy, Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai, 1988
- B.E., Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering, Guindy, Chennai, 1986
- Energy Conversion Materials
- Energy Storage Materials
- Nuclear Materials
- Electrochemical Synthesis of Nanomaterials
Prior to joining the University of Idaho, Krishnan Raja held research faculty positions in the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, and the University of Nevada, Reno.
Before moving to the USA, he conducted research on environmental degradation of pressure boundary components of light water nuclear reactors in Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan for more than three years.
Raja has about four years of industrial research experience, where he developed welding consumables for surface modification of engineering components used in oil, cement, steel and construction industries for very high wear and corrosion resistance.
- B.C. Day, B. Kersten, J. Zillinger, V. Utgikar, K.S. Raja, Effect of Lattice Structure of Bismuth Sesquioxide on the Electrochemical Energy Storage Characteristics, ECS Transactions, 85(13) 1539-1555 (2018)
- N. Shrestha, J. Zillinger, V. Utgikar, K.S Raja, The Effect of Grain Size on the Corrosion Behavior of Mg-RE Alloy ZE10A, ECS Transactions, 85(13), 671-682 (2018)
- J. Ninlachart, K.S. Raja, Effect of Light Illumination on the Corrosion Behavior of Mg-RE Alloy EV31A in Chloride-Alkaline Solutions, ECS Transactions, 85(13), 567-583 (2018)
- N Shrestha, V Utgikar, K.S. Raja, Design Strategies for Anode of Mg-Air Batteries and Hydrogen Evolution Reactions on Mg-RE Alloys, ECS Transactions, 85(13), 95-107 (2018)
- Nikunja Shrestha, Brandon Day, Vivek Utgikar, Krishnan S Raja, Guy Fredrickson, Steven Frank, Electrochemistry of Iodide in LiCl-KCl Molten Salts and Chemla Effect: An Overview, ECS Transactions, 85 (4), 15-23 (2018)
- J. Kline, B. Pesic, K.S. Raja, I. Ehrsam, Corrosion Studies of Rebar in Contact with Saturated Solution Produced by Leaching of Portland Type-II Cement: Examining the Effects of Chloride, Carbonation, and an Amorphous Silica Additive, Corrosion Engineering Science and Technology, 53 (6) 431-443 (2018).
- Steven J. Sitler, K. S. Raja, Indrajit Charit, Hot corrosion behavior of ZrB2-HfB2 solid solutions in KCl and K2SO4 at 1500 °C, Ceramics International 43, 17071-17085 (2017),
- Steven J. Sitler, Indrajit Charit, K. S. Raja, Room Temperature Corrosion Behavior of ZrB2-HfB2 Solid Solutions in Acidic and Basic Aqueous Environments, Electrochimica Acta, 246, 173–189 (2017)
- J. Ninlachart, K.S. Raja, Passivation kinetics of Mg-Nd-Gd-Zn-Zr (EV31A) and Mg-Y-Nd-Gd-Zr (WE43C) in NaOH solutions, Journal of Magnesium and Alloys, 5, 254-270 (2017)
- J. Ninlachart, K.S. Raja, Effect of heat treatment conditions on the passivation behavior of WE43C Mg-Y-Nd alloy in chloride containing alkaline environments, J. Magnesium and Alloys, 5, 147–165 (2017)
- J. Ninlachart, K.S. Raja, Threshold Chloride Concentration for Passivity Breakdown of Mg-Zn-Gd-Nd-Zr Alloy (EV31A) in Basic Solution, Acta Metallurgica Sinica (English Letters), 30(4), 352–366 (2017)
- R.D. Blair, B. Pesic, J. Kline, I. Ehrsam, K.S. Raja, Threshold Chloride Concentrations and Passivity Breakdown of Rebar Steel in Real Concrete Solution at Different pH conditions with the Addition of Glycerol, Acta Metallurgica Sinica (English Letters), 30(4), 376–389 (2017)
- S.J. Sitler, K.S. Raja, Z. Karmiol, D. Chidambaram, Self-ordering Dual-layered Honeycomb Nanotubular Titania: Enhanced Structural Stability and Energy Storage Capacity, Applied Surface Science, 401 127-141 (2017)
- S.J. Sitler, K.S. Raja, I. Charit, ZrB2-HfB2 Solid Solutions as Electrode Materials for Hydrogen Reaction in Acidic and Basic Solutions, Materials Letters, 188, 239-243 (2017)
- S.J. Sitler, K.S. Raja, I. Charit, Metal Rich Transition Metal Diborides as Electrocatalysts for Hydrogen Evolution Reactions in a Wide Range of pH, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 163 (13) H1-H7 (2016).
Common thread in all focus areas is: Electrochemistry/Electrochemical Engineering
Energy Conversion Materials
- Transition metal oxide nanotubes for light-to-electricity and light-to-hydrogen conversion
- Conversion of CO2 to useful hydrocarbons using solar light
- Charge transport mechanism across QD/Substrate interface
- Coherency effect during light-matter interaction
Energy Storage Materials
- Nanotubular materials for rechargeable battery applications (host materials for intercalation of Li, Na, Mg, Al ions)
- Large storage batteries based on high temperature molten salts
- Nanomaterials for supercapacitors
- Hydrogen storage materials
- Electrochemistry of molten salt reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel
- Creep/Oxidation interaction
- Environmental degradation of structural materials in ultra-super critical water
Electrochemical Synthesis of Nanomaterials
- Synthesis of ordered arrays of oxide nanotubes
- Compound semiconductor nanowire arrays
- High entropy alloy nanowires
- DARPA Young Faculty Award, 2012
- Alumni Excellence Award, 2015
- Alumni Excellence Award, 2016