B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Studying Modern Machines
Mechanical engineering plays an important role in nearly every industry, and in this program you will learn how to apply math, science and engineering skills to research, design, develop and test devices and processes that solve problems. Students have opportunities to put their skills into real-world practice.
- Power Generation
- Aircraft Design and Development
- Engine and Powertrain Design
- Additive Manufacturing (3D printing)
- Robotics and Automation
- Bio-mechanics and Mechanics of Materials
- Lean Manufacturing Systems
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Computer-Aided Design and Simulation
- Thermodynamics and Combustion
- Renewable Energy Systems
- Production Realization and Entrepreneurship
- Top 7 in the Nation – Hands-on experience through our undergraduate Senior Capstone Design Program, recognized by the National Academy of Engineering (NAE) for "infusing real-world experiences into engineering education." – The National Academies Press
- Personalized Attention – Interact directly with faculty through small class sizes, 1-on-1 interaction, mentorship and advising. Most faculty hold Ph.D.s in their field.
- Highest Early-Career Salary – Graduate with the highest early-career salary of any 4-year public college in Idaho. You’re also more likely to graduate in 4-years. – PayScale 2019
- More than $25M in Scholarships – U of I awards more scholarships than any 4-year public college in Idaho. – Oct. 26, 2018 News Release
- 98% Graduate With a Job or are enrolled in additional education. – 2016-2018 Career Services Outcomes Survey
- Hands-On Experience, Guaranteed – ALL U of I College of Engineering students participate in hands-on experiences, through our nationally recognized Senior Capstone Design Program and Engineering Design EXPO, Cooperative Education Program (Co-op), Idaho’s only Grand Challenge Scholars Program and paid undergraduate assistantships.
The Mechanical Engineering undergraduate degree program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.