Letter From The Chair
I would like to share with you the Spring 2021 edition of the Mechanical Engineering Newsletter. Our students, faculty and staff continue to be engaged in a broad range of activities centered around learning, teaching, research, and outreach. I invite you to read about some of them by browsing the web links below and download a printable copy of the newsletter. Thank you for your readership and ongoing support of our distinctive program.
Professor and Chair
Browse Newsletter by Topic
SUPPORT LAB UPGRADES — Pages 1-2
- Launching a Renovation — Lead gift from alumnus Bob Parkinson ’64 boosts updates to Senior Capstone Design Suite.
TEACHING INNOVATIONS — Page 3
- ME Students Mentor Invent Idaho Participants — Several Invent Idaho invention ideas to become future capstone design projects
- 100% Success Rate Achieved on Fundamentals of Engineering Exam — Exam review course participation and passing rates increasing
INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS — Page 4-5
- Enriching the Capstone Laboratory Experience
- Freshman Year Experience Initiative for Vandal Engineers
- Key Card Access Provides Extended Hours for Selected Facilities
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT NEWS — Pages 5-7
- A Life-Saving Gift — Engineering, WWAMI Medical Students Build Assistive CPR Device to Help More Users, and Those With Disabilities, Successfully Perform CPR
- ASME Innovations — Phase 1 of Lounge Renovation Project Complete
- Two Win DOE Energy Assessment Research Competition — Student Research Team under the Direction of Dr. Dev Shrestha and Dr. Steven Beyerlein won DOE AMO Competition
- Clean Snowmobile Challenge Team Thrives in Virtual Competition — Computer-Modeling Format in Combination with Real World Testing
- Vandal Atmospheric Science Team (VAST) Conducts First Tethered Balloon Launch
GRADUATE STUDENT NEWS — Page 8-9
- Rene M. Maura, Ph.D. — Graduate Student Highlight
- Laurie Delenin — Visiting Scholar Highlight
- Yusuf Oduntan, Ph.D. — Graduate Student Highlight
FACULTY & STAFF NEWS — Page 9-10
- ME, Nuclear Faculty Join CAES Summer Research Teams — Mike Maughan, Vibhav Durgesh, David Arcilesi to participate in summer visiting faculty program
ALUMNI NEWS — Page 10
- Advisory Board Chair Takes Lead — Jonathan Richards, ME Advisory Board Chair.
LETTER FROM THE CHAIR — Pages 11
- Professor Gabriel P. Potirniche — Letter from Chair of the Mechanical Engineering Department
EXPO — Page 12
- EXPO 2021 In-Person and Virtual — The EXPO is our annual celebration of the accomplishments of our engineering students, and is formal acknowledgement of our cherished partnerships with regional industry partners and collaborators.