Lee Ostrom, Ph.D.
Lee Ostrom, Ph.D.
Associate Dean of the College of Engineering; Director of Academic Programs, Idaho Falls Center
University of Idaho, Idaho Falls
1776 Science Center Drive, Ste 306
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
- Academic Certificate, Nuclear Criticality Safety, University of Idaho 2009
- Ph.D., Industrial Engineering, Texas Tech University, 1988
- M.S., Interdisciplinary Studies: Occupational Safety and Health, Texas Tech University, 1980
- B.S., Bacteriology, University of Idaho, 1979
- Risk assessment
- Human factors
- Industrial safety
Lee T. Ostrom is a full-professor and academic director and associate dean in the College of Engineering in Idaho Falls. His doctorate is in industrial engineering from Texas Tech University in 1988. He worked 11 years for the Idaho National Laboratory in the Human Factors Group and came to the University of Idaho full-time in 2000. His primary interests are risk assessment, human factors ergonomics, and industrial safety and he has performed basic and applied research in these areas in the following domains:
- Chemical Process
- Food Processing
- Alternative Fuels
He has performed research and applications work for:
- The Department of Energy
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Department of Defense
- US Navy
- Certified Safety Professional (#7689) by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals
- Certified Professional Ergonomist (#188) by the Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics
- Certified Technology Manager (#5684), by the Associated of Technology Management and Applied Engineering
- Certified Fire Inspector by the National Fire Protection Association
- Past Radiation Safety Officer
- Certified Competent Fall Protection Person, 2009 to 2011
- Certified Private Pilot
- First degree black belt, Songham Taekwondo
His hobbies are wood working, rocks and gems and gardening.
He is PI for the INL Educational Contract. This is an approximately $1.85 contract each year.
He is PI on an NEUP project developing a Hybrid Energy Conservation Loop. This is an approximately $800k project.
He is PI on a Idaho Department of Labor Grant to develop a certificate program in fire protection safety. This is a $250k project.
Selected Past Projects
- Fred Gunnerson, Akira Tokuhiro, and Lee Ostrom Nuclear Criticality Certificate Training Grant by the NRC, August 2008 to December 2009, $138,000
- Lee Ostrom and Cheryl Wilhelmsen, A Risk-Based Approach to Assessing Inspection and Measurement Reliability, NASA Ames Research Center, October 2002-May 2005, $332,000 and September 2003 received additional $23,000.
- Lee Ostrom, Analyzing the Impact of Risk and Task Analysis and Human Factors Principles on the Outcome of Maintenance, Operations, and Inspection Risks, May 2000-September 2002, NASA Ames Research Center, $499,000.
- Idaho National Laboratory
- Lee Ostrom, Risk Impact of Aviation Tasks, January 1998-December 1999, NASA Ames Research Center, $350,000.
- Lee Ostrom, Human Error Analysis for Aircraft Design, July 1994-December 1997, NASA Ames Research Center, $1,400,000.
Books and Recent Book Chapter
- Stack, T., Wilhelmsen, C., and Ostrom, L., Occupational Ergonomics: A Practical Approach, publication date: May 2016
- Ostrom, L.T., and Wilhelmsen, C., Risk Assessment Tools and Techniques and Their Application, John Wiley and Sons, July 2012.
- Ostrom, L.T., Creating the Ergonomically-Sound Workplace, Josse-Bass, San Francisco, California, published March 1994.
- Ostrom, L., and Wilhelmsen, C., Developing Risk Models for Aviation Inspection and Maintenance Tasks, Aeronautics and Astronautics, ISBN 978-953-307-473-3, edited by Max Mulder, InTech - Open Access Publisher, August 2011.
- Goonetilleke, R.; Karwowsk W.,(editors); Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics (AHFE 2016) and the Affiliated Conferences, July 27-31, Walt Disney World, Orlando; Advances in Physical Ergonomics and Human Factors Vol 489 2016; Stack, T,; (et el).; The firing of a cannon: A psychophysical evaluation, (583-593), ISBN: 978-3-319-41693-9
- Ostrom, L, Verner, K, Manic, M., Kasun Amarasinghe, Dumidu Wijayasekara, Multi-use High-Technology Test Bed, Human System Interaction Conference, Portsmouth, UK, presented July, 2016.
- Wilhelmsen, C. and Ostrom, L., Remote Aircraft Composite Inspection Using 3D Imaging, Human System Interaction Conference, Portsmouth, UK, presented July, 2016.
- Verner, K., And Ostrom, L., Utilizing Waste Heat From Hybrid Energy Systems For Pyrolysis And Other Processes, ASME 2016 Power And Energy Conference, Charlotte, NC, presented June, 2016.
- Stack, T., Autenrieth, D., and Ostrom., L., Firing of a Cannon, Psychophysical Evaluation of Ergonomic Hazards, present at the Applied Ergonomic Conference, March 2016.
- Ostrom, L., and Wilhelmsen, C., Factoring in Safety Culture into a Risk Framework, Presented at the International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, Austria, June 2015.
- Member Alpha Pi Mu, Industrial Engineering Honor Society
- Member Tau Beta Pi, Engineering Honor Society
- Member Epsilon Pi Tau, Technology Honor Society
- Elected to Board of Directors of the Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics, November 2009 to May 2010
- Awarded Best Paper Award in Education and Training at the IEEE Human System Interaction Conference in Gdansk, Poland June 2013 — Paper Titled “Technology Education Requirements for Physicians,” Laura Ostrom and Lee Ostrom Authors.