Sponsor a Capstone Project
Sponsoring a Capstone Design Project at the University of Idaho is an opportunity for corporate sponsors to interact with undergraduate students, graduate teaching assistants and engineering faculty with expertise in your field.
Hands-on experience is a signature element of a U of I College of Engineering education. By sponsoring a Capstone Design Project you also observe potential student hires that could help meet future recruitment needs, and introduce students to best practices in industry for design and manufacturing.
Role of the Client or Corporate Sponsor
- Supply an engineering project for students to design, prototype and test in about eight months
- Participate in two formal design reviews and the final project presentation
- Provide a financial donation to support the project
- Deliver constructive feedback to the students
- Offer feedback to the faculty for continuous course improvement
- Projects need to be identified, scoped, and budgeted by Aug. 1 in collaboration with the respective department lead
- Typical projects include funding for:
- Materials and consumables required to execute the project
- Travel required for students to visit the sponsor/client
- Support for the graduate student teaching assistants
- Shop and lab equipment usage and maintenance